OEM under dash AC unit Install Questions...

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: OEM under dash AC unit Install Questions...

Post by Stuka »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:
Stuka wrote:
MT1 wrote:No biggie at all... BTP Dragon is sending it to my email as we type. Thanks again for all the help guys!
Its up now, for anybody else needing it:

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/electrical/37 ... ion-manual
FILE NOT FOUND NOOOOOOOOO....
Will fix that soon as I get the chance.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

memo43

Post by memo43 »

Thanks Stuka, hopefully this storm coming to us doesn't throw to many curveballs
I'm on the other side of Sonara.
US Marine
79 Jeep Cherokee
360/TH400/Full time TC
Dolphin gauges
GM style HEI
Power windows
Serehill tailgate and headlight harness

"My jeep has no manners it
marks every parking spot"

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Thanks!
But, is this for the dealer installed A/C? The components don't look anything like my factory A/C components.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

more than likely the red wire is ignition switched and blue wire to compressor clutch, there were two styles of evaporators, up to 86 (I think) blower/t-stat were in the evap, after 86 switching was integrated into the HVAC controls, the 86 and newer was a rube goldberg affair with "electronic control module" switching relay for blower motors,evap temp sensor etc.
I have a used condenser out of my 79 J10 free if you want it needs brackets and a drier or you can buy a new universal condenser and fab bracket for it pretty simple
I would replace all the hoses with newer "barrier hose" doesn't leak as much as the old stuff and if you are converting to 134A buy compressor fittings with 134A charging service ports

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=96760

Try this thread. The red goes to a/c socket in fuse box, blue connects to wire in harness that runs to compressor.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

letank

Post by letank »

jaber wrote:http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=96760

Try this thread. The red goes to a/c socket in fuse box, blue connects to wire in harness that runs to compressor.
But the fuse panel socket does not have a fuse!

Do we need to install an inline fuse?
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Not sure I understand, there should be a slot for the fuse if the plug recieptical is there.

Edit, I don't remember an inline fuse in any of my units.
Last edited by jaber on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

letank

Post by letank »

jaber wrote:Not sure I understand, there should be a slot for the fuse if the plug recieptical is there.
Sorry I should have been more descriptive, it is a only a male end , recessed in the plastic mold of the fusible box

see pict here, AC pin at bottom right for AC and top right for AC comp

http://circuitswiring.com/1986-jeep-gra ... x-diagram/

in fact clock, radio and cruise are fuseless as well
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I think they run off the acc fuse, but am not positive.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

PNW69Waggy

Post by PNW69Waggy »

I don't like inline fuses hanging everywhere as I'm sure you guys don't, but if I were unsure I would just run one anyway in this case, better safe than sorry. Or run the a/c blower fan off a totally independent fused cicuit. I want to add a/c to my wag as well as a few other addidional electrical items so I'll probably install an aftermarket fuse box to have all those circuits fused in one place.

Is it pretty easy to retrofit these under dash a/c units to rigs that didn't come with them, in general? My '69 has a compressor and condenser that look factory but instead of the under dash unit it just has a big universal evap core that seems to be a retrofit item for a chevy truck. I don't know if it has a fan to push air through it, but there are not even a/c vents on the driver side so it doesn't look very useful from where I sit, literally. I'm guessing the rig didn't originally come with air, and someone got a hold of the correct factory under hood parts but not the under dash unit. I would like to install a more factory looking unit and found one from a '72 wag locally. Pretty easy install?

How well does the factory air work in the older wags anyway? Worth the trouble to get functional? I don't have vintage air kinda money. But a factory system could be affordable enough to be worth it as long as it actually worked half decent. I have the big York compressor on mine.

memo43

Post by memo43 »

Thanks to al for the help, as well as posting the link to the wiring. that was the last thing that I needed to wire on my Chero. At least for now until I find something else to tinker with.
PNW69Waggy I got mine wired up last night and the system was pretty good especially it being a 30 year old system, it was freezing cold but it did drop the temp in the cab enough to make it comfortable.
US Marine
79 Jeep Cherokee
360/TH400/Full time TC
Dolphin gauges
GM style HEI
Power windows
Serehill tailgate and headlight harness

"My jeep has no manners it
marks every parking spot"

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

I'd like to see this too I'm trying to get my A/C back in order.

I believe the red wire goes to the fuse block to supply power to the unit. the blue wire hooks back into the harness somewhere ( I think ) to feed the brown wire under the hood which runs the compressor clutch.

Somewhere I plan on putting a pressure switch in the system since as near as I can tell it never had one. on the dryer seems the logical location.

rainman

Post by rainman »

440sixpack wrote:I'd like to see this too I'm trying to get my A/C back in order.

I believe the red wire goes to the fuse block to supply power to the unit. the blue wire hooks back into the harness somewhere ( I think ) to feed the brown wire under the hood which runs the compressor clutch.

Somewhere I plan on putting a pressure switch in the system since as near as I can tell it never had one. on the dryer seems the logical location.
The brown wire from the bulkhead should go to the pressure switch (on hose on passenger fender) which then goes to the compressor clutch.
1987 Grand Wagoneer
5.2L/46RH/NP229/4"/31s/4.56/ARBs
Current FSJ status: Mostly functional...mostly

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

It's been a while, so do you have it in and operable? I put '79/'80 parts in mine several years ago, and was pleasantly surprised to find all the under-dash screw holes were already there. Plus, there had been an unattached wire in the wire harness that was factory installed for the compressor "if and when." I used it. The terminal in the fuse panel is for the inside unit--blower and such.
You didn't mention having a dryer to put in the hose between the condenser and compressor; you need one.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends

r_torres

Post by r_torres »

I have 3 wires; red, blue, and black... Red= power, Blue = Ac Compressor, Black = Ground... I want to be sure before reconnect the ac unit. :fsj:

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

You should have an orange wire as well coming from the blower motor. It needs power as well, and receives it through the orange wire connection to the fan switch.

Red = switched power (fused for safety)
Blue = Compressor (best when run through a binary or trinary switch on its way to the compressor)
Black = Ground
Orange = Blower motor power

When I re-did mine this past summer, I basically re-wired the entire thing and installed a binary switch on the new drier as well. I think pre 80 or so they were not incorporating a binary switch, but they did later on the passenger fenderwell. I just incorporated one on my drier as that seemed to be the easiest place to put it in the pressure line.

Although I think the drier location is in an awful place behind the grill. You basically have to pull the radiator to access it, as well as the condenser.

I had my A/C in and out probably 5 times this past summer, so if you guys need additional advice, I have way too much.

Good luck!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:Thanks!
But, is this for the dealer installed A/C? The components don't look anything like my factory A/C components.
This is from 2016, but it looks like no one answered. Yes, "American Air" is the dealer-installed air conditioning package offered by AMC. The factory air will be covered by the TSM for that year.

I'm sure the compressor mounting is different, since the package is added to the factory configuration without air conditioning. Other systems may be different too, to make the installation on an assembled vehicle easier.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

the wiring is pretty basic, if you look at the back of blower switch there are 5 spades and they are marked B,C,L,M.H., B is from the ignition switch (switched 12 volts) C is clutch the wire from this spade goes to the thermostat (other thing next to the blower switch which has a cap tube going into the evap coil) other wire going out of t-stat goes to ac compressor clutch coil (sometimes there will be pressure switch underhood called a binary sw hi/low pressure cut out) back to the blower switch L,M,H is low medium high which goes to the blower motor if the motor has 4 wires (one is a ground) then wires from blower switch go directly to motor, if motor has only two wires (12 volt and ground) then there is a blower resistor (small board with 3 coils , like a hot plate) which has 4 spades LMH and out to motor, good luck

Artisan

Post by Artisan »

1979bettywhite wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:29 am You should have an orange wire as well coming from the blower motor. It needs power as well, and receives it through the orange wire connection to the fan switch.

Red = switched power (fused for safety)
Blue = Compressor (best when run through a binary or trinary switch on its way to the compressor)
Black = Ground
Orange = Blower motor power
snip
An older post but maybe I can get some help please.
I had sent my evap unit out years ago to get rebuilt.
I can't be sure it was wired correctly.

The red and blue wires are plugged into the fuse panel in there proper spots on the right side with the
blue in the AC/Comp hole and the red in the lower AC hole.

Is this wired right at the control knobs and WHERE do I plug in the orange wire to the blower motor?

Any help is much appreciated.

Here is a pic;

https://ibb.co/qYhmffT
Regards,

Artisan ( Project J-30 )