Stock carb rebuild question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jjkage84

Stock carb rebuild question

Post by Jjkage84 »

Howdy folks, I sincerely apologize if something like this is already out there.

OK, my carb has shot crap, leaks like, like a, well, like something with a bunch of holes. (I couldn't remember how to spell siph - or whatever it is.)

So, I was going to buy a reman, then I was going to pay someone to just rebuild it, and then I figured what the heck, I'd just do it myself.

My question is, is there any curve balls in there that I really need to watch out for? I'm pretty decent as long as I have a good step by step video or instructions, but we all know how instructions can be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all and Jeep On!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Keep Calm and Jeep On!

http://www.youtube.com/JeepKage101

Topic author
Jjkage84

Re: Stock carb rebuild question

Post by Jjkage84 »

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399052447965.jpg[/attachment]

Here is a picture of the tab on the carb.

Keep Calm and Jeep On
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Jeep On!

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Just buy the correct rebuild kit for the carb., that's important. There's a sheet in the kit that shows an exploded view of the carb so you know where all the pieces go. Use common sense, like when you remove a piece of linkage put the clip or cotter pin back on the linkage where it goes so it'll be there when it's time to reassemble it. Go slowly. Sit in a comfortable chair with a bright light on your worktable. Be prepared for some gas to spill out. Match up the new gaskets with the old ones. Be careful when inverting the carb. with the top (airhorn) removed there are a couple of small ball check valves that will fall out of orifices, you need to know EXACTLY where they go upon reassembly. Be certain the float retaining clip snaps into the groove on the inlet seat, if it doesn't there will be nothing preventing the float from lifting out of the float bowl, thus allowing the fuel pump to POUR fuel right into the intake manifold. Follow the instructions carefully when setting the float level, both right-side-up & upside down. Keep everything clean or make it clean. Don't stress out. Have fun, and no smoking.

:)
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
Jjkage84

Post by Jjkage84 »

Thanks Haminawag!

Just found this on IFSJA http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=101921 hopefully that'll help me out! I'm really looking forward to getting her back on the road. Replaced the waterpump and fan clutch about a year ago and just pretty much let her sit for even longer.
Keep Calm and Jeep On!

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Carb rebuild is no big deal, just take it slow and careful. Final adjustments are very important so follow those instructions. Happy to help.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
Jjkage84

Post by Jjkage84 »

How hard is it to tune once I put it back on the Wagon?
Keep Calm and Jeep On!

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Jjkage84 wrote:How hard is it to tune once I put it back on the Wagon?
As long as you've followed all the preliminary adjustment settings per the instructions, and you've plugged in all the vacuum hoses correctly, it's usually a snap. I usually do a full tune up while I'm there, at the very least I'll double check timing, dwell angle and Idle, then I set the air/fuel ratio with a vacuum gauge plugged into the distributor vac. advance port on the carb., slowly turning the needle valves EQUALLY for highest vacuum. This is done with the engine warmed up and the choke plate fully open with the engine on low idle, once that's done I recheck timing and idle and button her up and go for a drive to see how she does.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
Jjkage84

Post by Jjkage84 »

Awesome! Thanks a Mill! Really looking forward to cruising around town in her and slowly fixing her up. Heck, I just look forward to driving the dang thing haha! Only been behind the wheel a handful of times in the 3 years I've had it. Pretty depressing, but, I just can't ever bring myself to get rid of it when I look at it and see what she could be!
Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

read the instructions all the way through first incase there are any positions for linkages you need to return to. If the part is in the kit use it Don't save a couple seconds just cause what is on the carb looks ok. Have large shop towel to work over as you disassemble. It will keep the small parts from rolling away. I grew up in AMC shops and learned the hard way to take your time every time. If some thing doesn't feel right after install stop and double check. These are one of the easier carbs to work on.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
Jjkage84

Post by Jjkage84 »

Awesome and will do! Hopefully will be tackling this project next weekend. (Will be out of town all next week for training.)

I'll definitely post a follow up, hopefully a successful follow up!
Keep Calm and Jeep On!

brandtjohnd

Post by brandtjohnd »

Old Thread i know...But the best advice i can give, especially if you have never done this before is to take pictures. Cell phones are everywhere, take your time, take pictures, so many pictures. Remove a bolt or a linkage and take a picture. I also spread an old sheet on my bench. Then each item that came off was set down in order. That way you know when you reassemble, you know which part goes in/on next.

Others have said it, but be patient, take your time, dont panic. Best of luck and thank yourself now for taking so many pictures.