Rear interior quarter panel

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Rear interior quarter panel

Post by CherokeeCraig »

What does everyone like to use to make new interior panels for the rear cargo compartment?
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

Southern Gorilla

Re: Rear interior quarter panel

Post by Southern Gorilla »

Since I'm going for a burly "man cave" type interior I'm planning on using thin plywood for all the flat panels inside. Depending on what styles are available I may stain the ply itself or cover it with a nicer veneer before finishing.
Having seller's regret.

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

I ended up buying some masonite looking stuff that's 3/16" thick. I think I'm just going to spray it with Duplicolor bed liner and call it good. Still not sure how to attach it tho. Any suggestions?
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

I haven't ever pulled my panels off, so I have no idea how they attach. I'm assuming it's some sort of spring clip. You may be able to find what you need here; http://www.perfectfit.com/15290/Trim-Cl ... eners.html

I have heard of guys using heavy-duty Velcro to attach door panels. So that's another possibility.
Having seller's regret.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Im thinking of using the 3/16" outside insulating board at the hardware store. Has anyone else used this stuff. I'm thinking that it must be weather resistant.

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

Southern Gorilla wrote:I haven't ever pulled my panels off, so I have no idea how they attach. I'm assuming it's some sort of spring clip. You may be able to find what you need here; http://www.perfectfit.com/15290/Trim-Cl ... eners.html

I have heard of guys using heavy-duty Velcro to attach door panels. So that's another possibility.

Yep I think something like that will work. Thanks
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

rocklaurence wrote:Im thinking of using the 3/16" outside insulating board at the hardware store. Has anyone else used this stuff. I'm thinking that it must be weather resistant.
Go to Lowes or Home Depot, they have lots of different types in 1/8" and 3/16" and I'm sure you'll find something you like. I bought the ones that are 2'x4' and they were around $7.00 a piece. Not a very hefty investment.
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

I saw someone redo their door panels with something like pegboard: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Triton-Produ ... /202021876

I was planning on using something like that, though I don't know if the other guy was using it due to its virtues or because he had some laying around...lol.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I'm sure the composite/particle boards at HD would outlast the card board that AMC used :-? I wounder, would it be a good idea to paint the board with resin before applying the vinyl?

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

TUDrewser wrote:I saw someone redo their door panels with something like pegboard: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Triton-Produ ... /202021876

I was planning on using something like that, though I don't know if the other guy was using it due to its virtues or because he had some laying around...lol.
Yes I saw the pegboard post and I figured he probably had that laying around (good use of resources) the stuff I bought is exactly the same sans the holes.
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

rocklaurence wrote:I'm sure the composite/particle boards at HD would outlast the card board that AMC used :-? I wounder, would it be a good idea to paint the board with resin before applying the vinyl?
I'm sure anything one want's to do to increase the life of their upgrade is well worth the effort.
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

5thJeep

Post by 5thJeep »

I'm midway through the process of building new panels from scratch and so far it's working out well. I used the same process my countertop fabricators use to make a template with 2" strips of cardboard cut into varying lengths then stapled & hot glued (cuz it sets quickly) together. After that I cut 1/2" plywood to match the template. I'm mounting some hardware & a couple of tie-downs so I screwed a treated 1x4 to the back of the flange that supports the panels. Next up I'm just using GM push fasteners behind my fabric then using the mounting bolts for the hardware to tie it all together for extra strength. I'll post pics in the next couple days. I'm waiting on my bed liner before I permanently install the panels.