How to get tailgate open when window won’t move

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
norjet

How to get tailgate open when window won’t move

Post by norjet »

Evening all and Happy Father’s Day to the Dad’s out there.

I’ve pulled the shag carpet panel as well as the metal panel and need some assistance on how to get the window down so I can get the tailgate open.

Any assistance would be great appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

ShagWagon

Re: How to get tailgate open when window won’t move

Post by ShagWagon »

Take a 12v battery and attach 2 wires with alligator clips on them to the battery and Hotwire the motor through the plug that’s tucked up into the top of the tailgate inside. One way is up. Switch wires on battery posts for down.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Take a 12v battery and attach 2 wires with alligator clips on them to the battery and Hotwire the motor through the plug that’s tucked up into the top of the tailgate inside. One way is up. Switch wires on battery posts for down.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yeahbut it depends on the year. Early models had three wire motors so one ground and a hot for up and one for down. Idunno when the two wire motors came out.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
norjet

Post by norjet »

Thanks guys...I should have sent a pic of the cluster of wires. It is an '89. I'll take a battery starter and see if I can make some headway tonight. Much appreciated.

Jeff

letank

Post by letank »

check under the driver's side frame rail by the rear, there are a bunch of connectors that get a bit rusted... and one ground that is attached to the rear bumper frame support, this one gets usually pretty bad, remove , usually cut off and redo and file the mounting point
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

If the motor doesnt work you csn always lay down on your back.. with a light in your mouth and a looooong flat tip screw driver or pry bar and pop thr clips off the arms holding the window. Then slide the window doen by hand and open the tail gate
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)