Need help with "BARN FIND" 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer A/T AMC 360

Stock FSJ Tech Area

dodgerammit

Re: Need help with "BARN FIND" 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer A/T AMC 360

Post by dodgerammit »

My dizzy is oriented the same way. Vacuum advance is very close to power steering pump bracket. If it starts and attempts to run where it is at, leave it.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Sir Chomps

Post by Sir Chomps »

Thank you dogerammit. I understand that!LOL! That's exactly why I asked. It may have seemed like a ridiculous question. I haven't gotten to do much with her the last couple of days. It's been popping up thunderstorms and I did get my tax refund, so one day was spent mostly at the tire shop and the rest of the day picking up parts. I did pick up a carb rebuild kit, a fuel pump should be in today. I think I'm going to pull the pick up tube out of the tank and check the sock as babaywag suggested a few post back. I may as well, just to try and eliminate every thing. I also picked up a remote start which will help me see what's happening under the hood while trying to get her to run. When I remove the carb for rebuild, I figure that will be the best time to sort out the vacuum lines. Something I should have checked first thing, the fuses on the panel. I have a el cheapo fuse checker from Walmart that allows you to check them without removing them, so I'll be doing that as well.

Thank you for the replies. I'll keep the group updated as progress is made.

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

Great progress. I didn't notice this in your posts but I would make sure you have a new ignition coil, new spark plug wires, new wire from coil to distributor and new spark plugs. If you've replaced the ICM and have random cut outs, it could be related to bad wires or bad coil-anything that may stop working intermittently. This is basic tune-up stuff and from the look of the wires and coil, it looks like it needs new stuff. Never a waste to start with new stuff and pretty cheap really.
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....

Topic author
Sir Chomps

Post by Sir Chomps »

Thank you for the reply! My apologies for it being almost a year later. I'm not sure why I never saw a notification. I joined many forums about the same time, I may have gotten them confused. This is the forum I've gotten the most replies.
I did replace all new ignition components as you were suggesting. Although, I have yet to put new spark plugs in her. LOL! I do have her running and have put about 2K miles on her since her resurrection! Lol!
She's really pretty much been trouble free! Loves to drink up some petrol! Lol! I am having a recent problem with the power steering(ps) pump. It did have a leak in the ps, actually in the gear below the pump, LUCAS stop leak solved that. That stuff is amazing! But now the ps pump pulley is "wobbly" when running and actually hits the bracket at times. I'm hoping the pump itself is not ruined, I have read some where, these pulleys were subject to warping? Do you have any info on that? Also, yesterday, I noticed the ps pump isn't exactly in line with the fan pulley. I'm not sure why I did not notice this before, because I was double checking everything. One of the PO's removed the smog pump, so I'm wandering if some spacer or something was left off of the bracket or are spacers needed when the smog pump is removed. I did recently remove the alternator, it was full of Cock Roach crap and eggs, blocking the rear vent holes. When I was reinstalling I discovered the bracket for the alternator was not put back on correctly, causing the alternator belt to not stay adjusted.
If you, or anyone, may have a photo of how the ps pump bracket is installed without the smog pump, I would greatly appreciate that!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

NB there are two resistance wires. One for the alternator to terminal 1 and one for the ignition to the coil. If you look at the factory wiring diagram, you will see them. Look here -https://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html If you are having trouble with the ignition, you should look at the one to the coil.

The Haynes manual will probably help you, but they are weak tea compared to the actual factory service manual: https://www.bjsoffroad.com/1984-87-Jeep ... _1056.html They also contain a lot of mistakes. You may be able to find this manual on CD-ROM somewhere on the net. I expect that will have the belt pattern too.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.