Rear axle brake hardlines

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
hanger

Rear axle brake hardlines

Post by hanger »

Does anyone know where replacement hardliners on the rear axle can be purchased for an 87 GW? Mine started leaking at the drum. Haven’t yet put a wrench on them yet but thought I’d ask in case. Thanks.

FLeetFox

Re: Rear axle brake hardlines

Post by FLeetFox »

great products, great service.

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/JPB74R1

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

Wow! Thanks for posting this. Hard to find pre-formed lines for regular cars. Great site and prices are reasonable.
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Not difficult to make replacements. Use alloy tubing (Nicopp, Cunifer) and you can bend them to whatever shape you need by hand. You can either flare the tubing yourself or buy pre-terminated lengths to make up the length you need, and join them with brass unions. Your local auto parts store has all this stuff. Lots of coverage of this topic online if you search.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

Maybe upgrade the rear drums to disc brakes too? It cost a few dollars but if you're going to have the tires off etcetera. Just a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
hanger

Post by hanger »

GrandW wrote:Maybe upgrade the rear drums to disc brakes too? It cost a few dollars but if you're going to have the tires off etcetera. Just a thought.

Does anyone offer a conversion kit for that?

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

I would at least takes the drums off and check the cylinders and linings, especially if the age of those components are unknown. cylinders and shoes are reasonably priced and available in stock at most big box auto retailers. Napa Balkamp still tend to be a cut better, and a bit pricier. I would also suggest a light coat of anti seize on the fittings when putting it all back together. Just my 2 cents.

Other vendors offer these pre-bent lines also, Inline Tube and Classic tube are both great suppliers to the old car/ truck owner groups.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

Yes, BJs has a kit. Summit. Shouldn't be hard to find. May have to read up a little, or could always have a mechanic do it.

Lots of good choices. Best of luck.

1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

I think it's a big jump from replacing brake lines to adding a rear disc set up. Most likely if it's leaking at the drum, the hard lines will break when you try to remove them at the fitting on the wheel cylinder anyway so new hard lines (stainless) would be an easy fix. Replacing the wheel cylinders, shoes etc is all pretty straight forward.

In my opinion, nothing really wrong with rear drum/front disk set up for brakes on a classic vehicle. They still put drum brakes on vehicles now as far as I know. I have cars from the 1990s and up to 2006 that have rear drum brakes.

If you're going to use your 12MPG Jeep for a daily driver, you may want to look into a conversion. If you're only going to use it for pleasure, may want to set priorities and just do repair and replace components as needed. Just my $0.02.
My Stable:
And a few more....

Topic author
hanger

Post by hanger »

I looked at it last night and it’s leaking at the ferrel nut. I’m just gonna take the drums off and check how worn the shoes are. Likely going to get new wheel cylinders, shoes and lines. Just redo it all

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

Brake fluid leaks are usually bad news in my experience. I would expect the lines to break, bleeders to be seized, wheel cylinders shot etc...You might be luckier than me. Good luck!
My Stable:
And a few more....

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Reason most cars even modern still use drums in the rear is because most of the braking power comes from the front brakes. Litterally up to 90% of the braking power is front. On my ZJ for example which has rear disks i had my rear brake pads rust out before they even got worn out lol..
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
hanger

Post by hanger »

Back on the road again. Got it fixed yesterday.

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

Good for you. Did you have to do the wheel cylinders too?
My Stable:
And a few more....

Topic author
hanger

Post by hanger »

No. I pulled the drum expecting to replace shoes and WC and the shoes looked almost new. Very little brake dust, drum in good shape and line unscrewed easily. I had a lift kit installed last week and they probably bent the line to move it out of the way and it cracked. I put some air pressure on it and could hear air seeping out.