New to me Cherokee.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Runcible_Spoon

Re: New to me Cherokee.

Post by Runcible_Spoon »

so...I swapped the coil out.made a decent difference in starting.next day I swapped out the cap and rotor...it started right up cold.
I figure the entire ignition system was pretty much shot,and had never been maintained in any significant way.all the wires were dry rotted to some degree,and I found some significant corrosion issues.i wish I could show the fuzzy white bloom,that was inhabiting five of the plug wire connections on the cap.
the problem with backfires and detonation under even light load has been reduced...mostly cured by the new dizzy.the cap and rotor did the rest.
tuning continues tomorrow.i'll put the fan back on and take it for a drive.i still have white/bluish smoke puffing out when I shut the throttle.i cant figure whats causing that.otherwise,it seems to settle into a fairly smooth idle.

on a side note...my dodge eco died because one of the transmission wire connectors broke,and let some water into the connection.this set the computer into a frenzy...fixed at the dealer with 25 cents worth of zip ties...instead of a 1600$ harness...computers.lol.

Topic author
Runcible_Spoon

Post by Runcible_Spoon »

Well...the drive has to wait.took it for a spin around the storage yard,and it was enough to open up some dangerously large sidewall cracks in the dry rotted tires.

Ill swap some less bad tires and wheels off my old landcruiser...the tires on it now are 33/12.50/15's...the ones on the cruiser are 265/75/16's,on some 16" wheels i bought years ago.i trial fit one on the front of the jeep,and i have to say it looks tons better.the 12.50's are just too fat.

Topic author
Runcible_Spoon

Post by Runcible_Spoon »

test drive mostly successful...it came with some sort of lift,and rides like a train and wont kick down into lower gear properly...its a 727,so how do I adjust the kick-down lever off the carb?

other than that,no leaks,nothing caught fire,and nothing fell off...:)

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Runcible_Spoon wrote:test drive mostly successful...it came with some sort of lift,and rides like a train and wont kick down into lower gear properly...its a 727,so how do I adjust the kick-down lever off the carb?

other than that,no leaks,nothing caught fire,and nothing fell off...:)
With these rigs that is a huge accomplishment! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Runcible_Spoon

Post by Runcible_Spoon »

thanks!

now to eventually sort the front end and trans linkage... I found the Oljeep homepage and some diagrams.i know what to look for now.
definitely need ball joints,and a tie-rod end or two...the brakes actually work pretty well,but could use a flush. and its likely been years since any driveline fluids were changed.this will take a lot of time...its a project vehicle,after all. and I have a couple of dana 60's and a 4bt,that need a home...

onward...:)