Tips for block drain plugs?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Tips for block drain plugs?

Post by weeegoneeer »

I know this is a rediculous question - but does anyone have any tips for removing the coolant drain plugs from the block? The ones On this rebuild take an Allen socket, and don’t want to get too assertive and strip it.

They’re in there really solid, probably with some kind of thread locker.

Pulling my motor tomorrow and if I can avoid a half gallon of antifreeze on the floor I’m all ears!
1984 GW

REDONE

Re: Tips for block drain plugs?

Post by REDONE »

If they are Allen wrench plugs, they are probably for the oil galleries. I'm pretty sure all the coolant plugs are press-fit (no threads at all).
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Bummer, I wish it were but definitely not oil galleys - these are the ones by the motor mounts & freeze plugs. When I pulled my last motor they had a standard bolt head and wasn’t shy about wrenching them out, was surprised at how much coolant was left in the block!
1984 GW

JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Not on a AMC V8, but on one 4.0 I built, the factory block drain plug was stuck like yours. I ended up taking a propane torch and heating up the block around the plug a little and got it broke loose. It was way tight. Once removed, I found it was rusted, hence why it was so tough coming out.
Make sure you have a very good and tight fitting allen socket to fit it.
With it being allen head, most than likely it is a replacement, my factory plugs are square head.
79 Cherokee Cheif. MPFI 401, T18/D20, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's
99 WJ limited. 4.0, auto, 2wd, stock.

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

That worked!! And you nailed it - it is a rebuild.

The block still holds about a gallon of coolant after draining the radiator. So much better in a pan than on the floor.

Thank you!
1984 GW

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

You must remove both Drain plugs to completely remove all the fluid from the system. Been there done that.
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.