Window channel question...

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Hud

Window channel question...

Post by Hud »

Hey guys, quick question about my windows. They all worked...12 years ago, but it has been setting in the sun for those 12 years. I currently am in the process of getting her back on the road as my daughter wants this to be her first vehicle.

I have one dead window, but if i jump 12v directly to the motor it works. Thats a wiring proplem i will have to chase down.

The main issue is the other three will barely move, about two inches at most. I pulled the brittle inner and outer wipes off, lubed everything and still no change.

I have concluded that maybe the felt channel ilners are binding and causing my problem. They are rock haer and brittle too. Does anyone have any other ideas? I have seen the channels on BJ's and not sure if that is what i need, The pics appear to just replace the top and one side? What aboue the other side? And last, to those that have replaced these, do you need to remove the window to install... thanks in advance!

RamJetFSJ

Re: Window channel question...

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Yes, they will get hard and brake an have sharp edges that the window will get stuck on. Been there. They are a pain to replace also, especially the one connected to the front wing window frame. You can take the door panel off and get a good look at their condition.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
Hud

Post by Hud »

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Appreciated!

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

No problem. I have one window that now operates as it should. The rest are not so great. :) I guess one day Ill have to do the rest. I only did the one because it was so hard to wind down, that it actually pulled the glass out of the rusty window channel..
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

81waggy

Post by 81waggy »

my wagoneer has the same problem...and solution. I broke up enough of the channel to get it to move but not so much that the glass rattles when they're open.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x