Turn Signal Wire

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Turn Signal Wire

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

So I bought a replacement turn signal lever from TGW (fast shipping, no issues BTW) and figured I’d be in for an easy install. When pulling the old one out, my guide string I had tied on snagged and broke and the old lever and wire came out.

Any good ideas on how to route the new wire down through the column now that I can’t just pull it down?

I’ve spent a while fishing at it with some stiff wire, string, and long bamboo skewers, but to no avail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Grand Wagoneer
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16762

Chubbinius

Re: Turn Signal Wire

Post by Chubbinius »

You might head over to Lowes or Home Depot and see if they have a fishing tape with a very small tip that you could pick up to help fish the new wire down the column (it should hopefully be sturdy enough to resist whatever snagged the string you were going to pull with). They have ones with plastic tips, wire tips, and even ones with different tips you can thread on based on what type of wire or cable you might be pulling.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Chubbinius wrote:You might head over to Lowes or Home Depot and see if they have a fishing tape with a very small tip that you could pick up to help fish the new wire down the column (it should hopefully be sturdy enough to resist whatever snagged the string you were going to pull with). They have ones with plastic tips, wire tips, and even ones with different tips you can thread on based on what type of wire or cable you might be pulling.
Wow, thank for responding! I had no idea such a product even existed, I'll give it a shot.
1990 Grand Wagoneer

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

You're welcome, meant to link you to them:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Search/N-5y ... max&NCNI-5

and

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=fish+tape

and you ought to be able to see on the website which ones are in stock at your local store before you go as well.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

You could also use an old coat hanger. Just cut off the hook for hanging and straighten it out. Some units are really small wire and bend from a heavy jacket. When your done with it throw it in back and use to open locked doors or as oxy/acetalyne welding rod.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Well, the fish tape worked really well to go up through the column! The white wire shown in the first picture runs from the footwell up through the column and exits out the top of where the wheel tilts.

But somehow I still can’t get the fish tape (or anything) through the side of the column, essentially the turn signal lever housing. Does anyone know how or if you can remove just the little bulging panel below the tilt lever? Or the approximate routing through this area? I’ve tried up/down, sides...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Grand Wagoneer