Missing VIN badges

Stock FSJ Tech Area

tgreese

Re: Missing VIN badges

Post by tgreese »

Think so. I have a listing but it's not in the same format as the badge. I will check tonight or tomorrow.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
yuza

Post by yuza »

I finally found a good source in Holland, not cheap but seems to be high quality
https://dataplates4u.com/pressed-style-data-plates/
1979 Cherokee Chief 4.0L powered

Topic author
yuza

Post by yuza »

I also got a price from the US company reported earlier...600+ bucks!
And I thought that 90€ from the dutch one was expensive... lol

Topic author
yuza

Post by yuza »

Update.
Vin badge received, seems very well made
Just sharing in case some of you needs a replica

offthebeatenpath

Post by offthebeatenpath »

That looks like the one from https://dataplates4u.com/ correct?
How much did that set you back?

I'm in the process of trying to get this sorted out for my 1965 J200, as I seem to be missing the firewall plate. I have the one on the drivers door jamb, but i don't think that has the full info on it. If I can get a new ID plate, it should make titling it a lot simpler.

Topic author
yuza

Post by yuza »

Yes it is from dataplates
They quoted originally 140€ if I remember well but I got a discount since they had another request and they could produce 2 at the same time
As per the info/numbers on it, this is fully up to you, in my case I had to “recode” my vin from the equiment in my cherokee

Crankyolman

Post by Crankyolman »

Stuka wrote:Here in the States, you would be unable to register that vehicle at all without a VIN. You can re-VIN vehicles here, but lots of hoops there. Not sure if its possible there.
I know this was posted 2 months ago but I am just finding things on this site.

That statement is actually incorrect. Most if not all states do have ways to get a state issued VIN number in the event the vehicles original VIN is missing. Back when I was in high school I bought a Trans AM from an insurance company that was a theft recovery. Nobody wanted to buy it because it had no VIN So I got it dirt cheap. I took the car and documentation for where I got it to the police department and had them inspect it, filled out some paperwork and 3 or 4 months later was issued a new VIN by the state of Oklahoma, which I was required to stamp into the door frame.
'72 J4500

Crankyolman

Post by Crankyolman »

offthebeatenpath wrote:That looks like the one from https://dataplates4u.com/ correct?

I'm in the process of trying to get this sorted out for my 1965 J200, as I seem to be missing the firewall plate. I have the one on the drivers door jamb, but i don't think that has the full info on it. If I can get a new ID plate, it should make titling it a lot simpler.
On the earlier models the VIN is located on the forward side of the drivers door jam. Early ones didn't include much information.
'72 J4500

offthebeatenpath

Crankyolman wrote:
offthebeatenpath wrote:That looks like the one from https://dataplates4u.com/ correct?

On the earlier models the VIN is located on the forward side of the drivers door jam. Early ones didn't include much information.
So I see! Looks like it’s all there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mud89

Post by mud89 »

It's not all there for a J200 or more generally FSJs built before '73 , you also have a little plate on the firewall, passenger side with the paint and trim codes. Unfortunately this little plate is often lost since it was glued, no rivets.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-WILLYS-OV ... ctupt=true
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

Crankyolman

Post by Crankyolman »

offthebeatenpath wrote:
So I see! Looks like it’s all there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that is your VIN tag.
This is a good decoder reference https://www.allpar.com/mopar/jeep-vin.html

However Mud89 is correct that there should also be a Willys tag under the hood on the passenger side and a paint code tag like these
Yours should say Willys produced by Kaiser Jeep corporation but those are only informational tags and not part of the VIN, the VIN is the stand alone tag you pictured.

There is also one more tag that may or may not be on a firewall, a special order tag like this on the drivers side
'72 J4500

offthebeatenpath

In that second photo, the "Special Sales Order" tag, you can see the adhesive behind the plate.... well, that's all I have left of mine :)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Crankyolman wrote:
Stuka wrote:Here in the States, you would be unable to register that vehicle at all without a VIN. You can re-VIN vehicles here, but lots of hoops there. Not sure if its possible there.
I know this was posted 2 months ago but I am just finding things on this site.

That statement is actually incorrect. Most if not all states do have ways to get a state issued VIN number in the event the vehicles original VIN is missing. Back when I was in high school I bought a Trans AM from an insurance company that was a theft recovery. Nobody wanted to buy it because it had no VIN So I got it dirt cheap. I took the car and documentation for where I got it to the police department and had them inspect it, filled out some paperwork and 3 or 4 months later was issued a new VIN by the state of Oklahoma, which I was required to stamp into the door frame.
Well, I didn't say you could not add a new VIN. I actually say you can re-VIN. Just that you can't register with no VIN at all. If the original is missing, you have to get a new one.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

Here's another place-just found through another Jeep site:
http://datatags.com/
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....

Crankyolman

Post by Crankyolman »

Stuka wrote:
Well, I didn't say you could not add a new VIN. I actually say you can re-VIN. Just that you can't register with no VIN at all. If the original is missing, you have to get a new one.
You are correct, my bad, sorry
'72 J4500