Replacing oil pan, what else while I'm there?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
89er

Replacing oil pan, what else while I'm there?

Post by 89er »

I finally got some money saved up and I've had enough of the oil pan drain plug hole leaking. (likely stripped by an impact wrench decades ago)

So I'm about to purchase and replace the oil pan, is there anything good to upgrade or replace in there while I have it off?
'89 Grand Wagoneer Baltic-blue/Tan

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Replacing oil pan, what else while I'm there?

Post by Stuka »

I would do the rear main seal if it leaks. If it doesn't already leak, it most likely will after being moved while taking the old pan off.

Actually, if it was me I would do the timing chain too. But its a lot more work and cost.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

Add a bung for an oil temp sensor.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Post by letank »

89er wrote:So I'm about to purchase and replace the oil pan, is there anything good to upgrade or replace in there while I have it off?
Weld the hole shut and put the drain plug facing back so the oil does not drain on the pumpkin... or get an oil pan for a pre-79 era 360, the drain plug is facing rearward
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

babywag

Post by babywag »

If it was me I'd just try to retap it to next larger size & get the matching new plug. There is a thick plate inside pan so retapping is pretty easy.

The rear main is encased by block & rear bearing cap, dropping pain won't do anything or create a leak.

An older '79-down pan doesn't have recess for exhaust pipe
Stick with the correct '80-up oil pan. Unless you don't mind taking hammer to new pan.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

babywag wrote:If it was me I'd just try to retap it to next larger size & get the matching new plug. There is a thick plate inside pan so retapping is pretty easy.

The rear main is encased by block & rear bearing cap, dropping pain won't do anything or create a leak.

An older '79-down pan doesn't have recess for exhaust pipe
Stick with the correct '80-up oil pan. Unless you don't mind taking hammer to new pan.
Ahh, you are right regarding the rear main seal. Been too long since I have done an AMC V8 pan gasket.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
89er

Post by 89er »

Stuka wrote:I would do the rear main seal if it leaks. If it doesn't already leak, it most likely will after being moved while taking the old pan off.

Actually, if it was me I would do the timing chain too. But its a lot more work and cost.
I can't really tell if it's leaking because the drain plug is letting so much out. I'm not sure how to find out if the RMS is leaking. What's the best timing chain to get? Looks tough but doesn't look super difficult.
'89 Grand Wagoneer Baltic-blue/Tan

letank

Post by letank »

89er wrote:
Stuka wrote:I would do the rear main seal if it leaks. If it doesn't already leak, it most likely will after being moved while taking the old pan off.

I can't really tell if it's leaking because the drain plug is letting so much out. I'm not sure how to find out if the RMS is leaking. What's the best timing chain to get? Looks tough but doesn't look super difficult.
for leaks get a dye, the UV green is not as good as the UV red, add to oil, run engine for 10min or a couple of miles... night time is better... of course you need to clean up the area to pinpoint the origin of the leak.

for timing chain, I used the stock style, bjs , rock auto, but you have to make sure that the oil hole on the gear is lined up with the cam, otherwise you are in for a bad day a few miles later

a very good post
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... ost1678711

of course if doing the timing chain, you can do the water pump.... and so on.... with all the headache about the bump on some of the water pump that get knocked by the harmonic balancer... the gmb is a good pump, aluminum....

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7193

I installed one last year, while doing the camshaft while I was there
Michel

will e

Post by will e »

Michel, I looked for the dye at a local parts store and they didn't have it. DO you have a link or a brand name?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Post by letank »

will e wrote:Michel, I looked for the dye at a local parts store and they didn't have it. DO you have a link or a brand name?
the bottle came from a truck repair shop as a give away, cummings part # 3376891, it is on ebay, labelled Fluorescent yellow dye 32%. I had the bottle for over 5 years, and it is still good
Michel

will e

Post by will e »

Thanks Michel, found it on amazon and ebay.

letank

Post by letank »

will e wrote:Thanks Michel, found it on amazon and ebay.
Excellent, I used it a week ago to check PS leak on a bimmer, perfect glow with the yellow glasses and the UV light that comes with the A/C leak detector kit sold at parts store. The dye in the A/C leak test kit is weak for oil leaks, the one from cummings is so good, it showed residue on the PS cover cap threads, leaky cap O-ring.
Michel

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

If you do replace the pan make sure you get the rigjt one... i cant remember the exact year.. but i think it was an 88 or 89 and the pan didnt fit on my 90 they changed the starter sizes and the pans chsnged shape accordingly
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

babywag

Post by babywag »

candymancan wrote:If you do replace the pan make sure you get the rigjt one... i cant remember the exact year.. but i think it was an 88 or 89 and the pan didnt fit on my 90 they changed the starter sizes and the pans chsnged shape accordingly
The pan changed in 1980 for driver's side drop front axle & exhaust y-pipe changes.
There was no change after that even for the mitsubishi starter change in 1988.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Tell that to the pan i got off the 86 or 87 grand wagoneer. I forgot its exact year... my friend snd i sat down there for 2 hours trying to get it to fit and it wouldnt fit. On my 90
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

babywag

Post by babywag »

candymancan wrote:Tell that to the pan i got off the 86 or 87 grand wagoneer. I forgot its exact year... my friend snd i sat down there for 2 hours trying to get it to fit and it wouldnt fit. On my 90
You can swap pans any year '70-'90's only difference is drain plug locations and late pans have clearances for axle & exhaust.
If it didn't fit it was bent or hanging up on pickup or something else.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)