78 Cherokee replace seat foam / padding

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
FSJ Paul

78 Cherokee replace seat foam / padding

Post by FSJ Paul »

Hello all,

So far the restoration of my 78 Cherokee is going well - thanks in no small part to the awesome folks on this forum!

The next project on my list is to restore the badly worn out seats. I want to make them as close to factory as possible within reason. Originally came with Levi’s blue fabric interior. I have all but 13 of the little Levi buttons. I have been looking everywhere for some more. There are a couple on eBay for an eye popping $35 each. I might just go to the thrift store and pick up some old 501s and steel the buttons off of the jeans. I know they are not the same but maybe I will just use the “fake” ones on the back seat. Has anyone done something similar? Or does anyone have a secret stash of buttons with the Levi lettering that they would be will to sell at a reasonable price?

Also, the seat frames seam to be in pretty good shape, but the foam padding is spent. Does anybody know if there is an OEM seat foam kit available or will I need to find someone who can custom cut the foam for me?

Any other words of advice on restoring the seats in these babies?

Thanks,

Paul
Paul
1978 Wide Track Cherokee - work in progress
1976 Cherokee S - sold long ago and sorely missed
1989 Wrangler - not sorely missed.

1979bettywhite

Re: 78 Cherokee replace seat foam / padding

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I don't know if there is an aftermarket foam kit. Best option is a local upholstery shop. Since you are redoing the original seats then you can be a little more picky on the foam you use to suit your personal preference on the seats. In my opinion the stocks seats sit a little low for my liking, and no headrest makes them not as comfortable on longer drives. But if you are going for original, then you have to keep the buckets I guess. But a local shop should be able to get you some good foam if you are going to redo them yourself. If not, they can rebuild them, although for a price.

Topic author
FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

Thanks 1979bettywhite! That is sort of what I figured. If there isn’t a foam kit available the best and probably cheapest (after buying all the tools and wasting a bunch of “practice foam”) is just to let the pros do it. I agree having a head rest is much more comfortable and a whole lot safer, but safety and comfort are for suckers. In the end I probably won’t drive this old girl too hard or too far.
Thanks again!
Paul

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

While you have the foam stripped off check the seat back frames for cracks . On the drivers side it would be on the right hand side at the bottom of the curve just before the pivot point. Passengers would be same location on the left side of frame. The cracks / breaks are caused by the rear seat passengers using the seat back for support when climbing out.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Head rest on the 90 sucks so you aint missing much... i have to look at my ceiling tilting my head that far back to even get my head to rest on it... they really did a poor job designing them.

I need to find some kinda pillow with spandex to hold it on the head rest to actually be able to use if
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

Hey cheap hobby,

That’s a good point about the broken seat frame. I think my drivers side is probably broken. It seems too “springy”.

Is that something that is easy enough to weld back together? Any surprises I should look out for?

Sounds like I might want to make a stronger brace while I’m at it.
Paul

Topic author
FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

candymancan wrote:Head rest on the 90 sucks so you aint missing much... i have to look at my ceiling tilting my head that far back to even get my head to rest on it... they really did a poor job designing them.

I need to find some kinda pillow with spandex to hold it on the head rest to actually be able to use if
Just wear a crash helmet everywhere you go. Bonus: You’ll always be ready for a drag race!
Paul

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

FSJ Paul wrote:Hey cheap hobby,

That’s a good point about the broken seat frame. I think my drivers side is probably broken. It seems too “springy”.

Is that something that is easy enough to weld back together? Any surprises I should look out for?

Sounds like I might want to make a stronger brace while I’m at it.
The tube used is on the thin side. It can be done, but I would pay for a good welder to do it again. Mine was done by a friend who is certified, but didn't take the time do it. Miged it with foam pulled back and it didn't hold. Should have taken the time to use Tig.
I've been running a low back from a CJ for years. No fold, no recline. Fronts will soon be replaced with Corbue Baja Rs .
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

Just a follow up...

I just got back my seats from the local upholstery shop. They came out perfect. I had a heck of a time finding the 13 missing Levi buttons and it took several months and WAY too much money to find authentic OEM Levi fabric and vinyl.

I could not find any authentic orange Levi tabs. I even called Levi headquarters and talked to the head tailor and historian but no dice. I guess they stopped using the orange tabs in the 70’s. So I just went to the thrift stores and bought some old jeans and cut the ”new” not exactly correct red tabs off.

Now I just need to put them back in....
I Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Topic author
FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

FYI. Here is what the original orange Levi tab looks like

Paul

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

TY for sharing with us . That's COOL . I use that same seat in my Cherokee and I really like yours :-bd
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

Those seats are awesome! They remind me of the Levi Suit my dad had back in the 70's.....
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

1977ChiefLS3

Post by 1977ChiefLS3 »

Awesome results :-bd Worth the search and wait to get them this right.
1983 CJ7 Renegade "Stella"
1977 Cherokee Chief WT "Moytoy" (current project: engine start next step)
1967 Super Wag (next up)
1969 J3600 "El Presidente"
1983 Wagoneer "Hulu"
1979 and 1980 Wags ... for parts
2014 JKUR "Ruby"

wagontail58

Post by wagontail58 »

If you don’t mind my asking, what did it cost to have the upholstery replaced on your seat and armrest? I am a few steps behind you on a 1978 Wagoneer. I found all the vinyl and fabric which cost an arm and a leg but it matches original perfectly. The seats you got back look fantastic, what was the name of the shop you used?

Topic author
FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

Hey Wagontail58,

The upholster I used is a guy named Tito. He is a second generation upholsterer. He took 3 months to do all of the seats and center arm pad, but he did a fabulous job. Every detail is just right. It cost me $2,400 plus the fabric. I supplied him with one pretty beat up back seat, 2 half broken arm rest, 2 pretty bad passenger seats and one driver seat. He took the best parts to make a complete set. He replaced all of the foam using different densities for the seat and back. Cleaned, painted and fixed all the mechanicals. Truly a work of art.

He works out of a small shop by himself.
Phone number:
951-587-4117
He is in Temecula CA
Paul

Topic author
FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

78 WIDETRAC wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:01 pm Those seats are awesome! They remind me of the Levi Suit my dad had back in the 70's.....
Oh man what I wouldn’t give to have a 70’s Levi suit to cruise around in my 70’s Levi Jeep!
Paul

wagontail58

Post by wagontail58 »

Thanks for the name and number, I will call him after the new year. I agree with you the work looks fantastic and the price seemed reasonable. The only other interior part that I’m having a hard time finding is carpet. All the Samples I have seen so far are very fuzzy looking and not at all like the original carpet. Any leads on carpet that looks similar to the original?

Topic author
FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

Hey Wagontail,
I hear you on the carpet. I searched and stressed about the carpet for months- nothing seemed right.

I ended up calling and talking to Ryan (I think) at BJs off-road. There is really only one company that makes carpet kits for FSJs. Comes in 3 flavors; Essex (deep pile) Cute pile (short pile) and loop. The Essex is probably closer to the factory depth but does not come in the right color blue, loop is very difficult to keep clean and is not close to factory plus does not come in the correct color blue. Leaving the only option to go with cut pile. (Sometimes not having an option is best).

I can’t remember which color of blue Cut pile I ordered (I went with the color Ryan suggested). I ordered a sample first. The sample is actually a really good deal - I was expecting a little 4” square but I got 1-1/2 yards. I’m going to see if Tito can make me some floor mats from the extra material.

The color is actually very close to factory but it is not as deep or as dense. The kit comes with padding, which I was not expecting. Unfortunately, The padding is pretty lousy. I ended up using a combination of some padding I bought on amazon ( I think the brand was design engineering) plus the padding it came with for extra plush squishy-ness.

The fit is pretty good. The only complaint I have is that the factory carpet has a small cardboard backed piece (that was not salvageable in my case) that goes around the the little hump between the front and back seats. This carpet kit just wraps over the hump and the fits is a bit saggy.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Paul

Paul

wagontail58

Post by wagontail58 »

Thanks for all the new info. I will give them a call as well and try to get a sample. My original carpet was kind of a dark copper brown color. Maybe they called it tan or Almond. I occasionally see those back seat riser covers on eBay that you could cut and wrap your carpet around to give it a more factory look. I found one on Craigslist last year for $35 plus shipping, I snapped it up because my original had been crushed. I think mine was made of a very very thin steel or aluminum. It definitely was not cardboard.I might know where there’s another one if it’s still available I will let you know.

Thanks for all the tips Paul.

David

Topic author
FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

You bet - thanks David!

Paul