Bleeding power steering

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
TeaBag

Bleeding power steering

Post by TeaBag »

Is there a trick to bleeding air from the power steering? Perhaps a bleeder valve on the steering box? Had to replace my pwr steering pump because of a leak. New pump is working but has a little whine to it when turning.

SJTD

Re: Bleeding power steering

Post by SJTD »

Where'd you get the pump? Maybe it's the problem.

Since the reservoir is attached to the pump so the pump is pretty much sitting in fluid it self bleeds.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Jack the front of the jeep up on jack stands, open the cap to the pump reservoir, turn your key to the ACC position, turn the wheel back and forth from lock to lock. That will get most of the air out initially and should be done with the engine NOT running. Check the fluid level and add if needed. After doing that, still leave the jeep jacked up and the cap off, start the engine (to start pumping fluid) and turn the wheels lock to lock a few more times. That should get all the air out. Check the level again and top off as needed, but don't overfill.

Usually the whine means the box is starving for fluid, which you are right, might have air in the lines. Or could mean the fluid can't get to the pump even though you are showing a full reservoir of fluid. Once you get the air out the fluid will flow and you will probably have to top off the fluid.

What fluid are you running in the pump? Some pumps like certain fluid better than others. ATF vs. power steering fluid etc. I know I run ATF in my J20 box in my CJ and standard power steering fluid in my Chief.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The issue with running ATF in a power steering box is it does not have any anti-foaming agents in it. It will 'function', but you can lose fluid and get cavitation when it is used.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

Just using standard power steering fluid. I will go through the procedure as described above and see if that helps. I also have a bit of "ratcheting" in the steering wheel when I turn it.

Thanks!

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I like to remove the belt and manually turn the pulley a bunch to push fluid through the whole system. They put the belt back on, jackup the front end, start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock about 10 times.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

babywag

Post by babywag »

TeaBag wrote:Just using standard power steering fluid. I will go through the procedure as described above and see if that helps. I also have a bit of "ratcheting" in the steering wheel when I turn it.

Thanks!
Reman PS pumps are a crapshoot, last time I did one it took several to get a "good" one.
Just because it's "new" doesn't mean it isn't bad.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

TeaBag wrote:Just using standard power steering fluid. I will go through the procedure as described above and see if that helps. I also have a bit of "ratcheting" in the steering wheel when I turn it.

Thanks!
The ratcheting feel can be a result of small air pockets. The procedure mentioned above should resolve it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

So, I came home from work and ran through the above procedures and it actually sounds and feels worse?

I did drive the car to work and the fluid and engine was warm when I did it. Would that make a difference or do we suspect something else? Like a bad pump or possible a steering box. The old pump functioned fine but was leaking, which is why I replaced it.

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

TeaBag wrote:So, I came home from work and ran through the above procedures and it actually sounds and feels worse?

I did drive the car to work and the fluid and engine was warm when I did it. Would that make a difference or do we suspect something else? Like a bad pump or possible a steering box. The old pump functioned fine but was leaking, which is why I replaced it.
Where was your pump leaking? Mine leaks out the back where the tube bolts in the middle. Replaced the hose, new o-ring, still leaks. Wondering if it's my pump, or if the threads need to be wrapped before bolting it in. :-?
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

That's where mine was leaking too. It didn't always do that, either. It developed the leak and there was nothing I could do to make it stop, which is why I replaced mine.

letank

Post by letank »

GrandW wrote:
TeaBag wrote:So, I came home from work and ran through the above procedures and it actually sounds and feels worse?

Where was your pump leaking? Mine leaks out the back where the tube bolts in the middle. Replaced the hose, new o-ring, still leaks. Wondering if it's my pump, or if the threads need to be wrapped before bolting it in. :-?
same in my case, I suspected the o-ring and did a few o-ring swapped because on first removal the o-ring was a shredded piece of plastic, the one that came with the HP hose did not last past the purge procedure, in the end a green o-ring did the trick, yes an AC o-ring, snug to fit.

I used one of these, old PS o-ring in pict

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Thank you Stuka for explaining power steering fluid as opposed to ATF. I also would like to know where
the OP bought his reman pump. Hope he did not trade in his old one for the core charge.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I have used reman pumps from Napa. Seem to be better pumps. And lifetime warranty on those. You will need to swap your pulley over to the reman one though.

Topic author
TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

Took the pump back and got another one. Turns out is was the pump. The replacement is working fine. Thanks for everyones help.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Nice! Glad it is fixed now. Hopefully you still went through the bleeding procedure on the new one anyway.