EGR Help

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

EGR Help

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Sorry guys, another EGR plea for help. I've researched a ton here and on other forums and still not quite sure. I would remove the EGR all together, but I'm not competent enough (yet) to retune the carb and dizzy for that change.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my 360 and found my EGR not hooked to anything. I looked at the vacuum diagram for a 1990 and see that the EGR goes through an EGR transducer, then to the EGR TVS.
1. Where are these, and what do they look like? Am I right in thinking that the TVS is in the snorkel? Complicating matters is the fact that my snorkel only has one vacuum connection, while I believe a 1990 should have two..

The PO removed the air pump and I capped off the air injection tubes. I recently ran the dizzy straight from manifold vacuum and capped off the HDC CTO.

2. I don't see any EGR CTO, where is it?

3. If the PO removed the EGR CTO, what is the best approach with the EGR? I found a post on IFSJA stating that I can run it to ported vacuum with a delay valve - true?

Thanks for all the help!
1990 Grand Wagoneer
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16762

babywag

Re: EGR Help

Post by babywag »

You cannot just hook it up w/o a CTO. You need a CTO so it does not operate until the engine is warmed up.
If the EGR is not hooked up, AND it runs fine, it's already "removed" and you shouldn't need to retune it.

Yes the TVS is in the side of air cleaner housing small round blue dude, not in the snorkel.
EGR transducer is a small round black plastic dude it'll be right next to/connected to EGR valve unless PO removed it or changed EGR.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

candymancan

Re: EGR Help

Post by candymancan »

My egr is plugged with a screw in the line. Runs great i havent had to mess with any tuning
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)