Oil Pan Help

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
HOFFDADDY416

Oil Pan Help

Post by HOFFDADDY416 »

I have an 89 Grand Wagoneer that I’m trying to replace the oil pan gasket on, but I can even seem to get the pan off. All the bolts came out nice and easy and I’ve got it separated from the block, but just can’t get the pan out. It seems to be catching on something at the back, but I can’t see anything blocking it from just dropping down.
Is there some sort of trick to getting this thing out?
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

BCRAWLER

Re: Oil Pan Help

Post by BCRAWLER »

What is caught on is the oil pickup unit. Somebody here with more experience on your unit will pipe out and tell you the trick to get it out.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

will e

Post by will e »

So you have some kind of gap between the pan and the block? The pickup fits inside of a space, maybe try shifting it around a bit. It's weird you cannot get it off.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Post by letank »

try to temove the access plate to the torque converter, it is a 2 piece item, may be something is bent.
Also is the oil dropping a bit such as 1/4" , or not at all
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
HOFFDADDY416

Post by HOFFDADDY416 »

will e wrote:So you have some kind of gap between the pan and the block? The pickup fits inside of a space, maybe try shifting it around a bit. It's weird you cannot get it off.
Yea I can easily fit my fingers between the pan and the block, with some wiggle room, the full length of the pan. I spent about an hour this morning shifting it around every which way i could.

letank wrote:try to temove the access plate to the torque converter, it is a 2 piece item, may be something is bent.
I'm pretty sure I know which plate your talking about. I thought about removing that, but I wasn't sure how far up it went or where all the bolts are that hold that in place.
I don't what what you mean by the oil dropping. I drained the oil before attempting to pull the pan.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

letank

Post by letank »

[quote="HOFFDADDY416"

letank wrote:try to temove the access plate to the torque converter, it is a 2 piece item, may be something is bent.
I'm pretty sure I know which plate your talking about. I thought about removing that, but I wasn't sure how far up it went or where all the bolts are that hold that in place.
I don't what what you mean by the oil dropping. I drained the oil before attempting to pull the pan.[/quote]

sorry typo, i meant oil pan... the plate removal from memory, it is a vertical plate behind thd oil pan with 3 bolts, it has a weird shape....2 on one side and 1 on the other, scroll down there is a pict of the trany hump that shows the bolts
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=13142
Michel

Topic author
HOFFDADDY416

Post by HOFFDADDY416 »

It was the access plate hanging it up. I removed that and the pan practically fell off.
Thanks for the help!!
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

will e

Post by will e »

Wow really? I wouldn't have guessed that. I am happy it worked for you (and will remember this when I pull my pan).
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

MReno

Post by MReno »

Out of curiosity, this removal of the oil pan needed to rebuild the oil pump system? I believe I read that somewhere...
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Newbee to owing an old classic that needs some work, but she runs!

MReno

Post by MReno »

Correction, got confused. I will most likely add a Bulltear Oil Filter Relocation Kit in place of the factory, along with new pump guts and midplate kit to ensure the oil pressure is maintained.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

letank

Post by letank »

MReno wrote:Out of curiosity, this removal of the oil pan needed to rebuild the oil pump system? I believe I read that somewhere...
no need to remove oil pan to access the oil pump plate. But you will have to pack the oil pump gears with petroleum jelly to help with the oil pump priming, otherwise no oil pressure.
Michel

MReno

Post by MReno »

Thanks for the tip Letank
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

selkplitt

Post by selkplitt »

I know I don’t post here only lurk. But I feel the need to add that you don’t want to pack the entire cavity with petroleum jelly. Only need a little bit on edges of gears to create the suction. I say this because I filled the cavity entirely with jelly and after running it several times and driving it for 1/2 hour I got tapping and knocking. When I took the pump plate off the jelly was still in there and very little oil getting through. You can use a little assembly lube too. But if you use jelly just make sure you use a little.
89 Grand Wagoneer bone stock
07 Commander 4.7 Rocky Mountain QDII
18 GMC Canyon Denali 2.8 diesel