Very little power to passenger window motor. Help!

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
windover90

Very little power to passenger window motor. Help!

Post by windover90 »

I've been working on getting my power windows working again. I started with front windows and got the driver's motor, switches and harnesses cleaned up, reinstalled, and it works great. Did the same with passenger and got nothing. I tested the harness going to the window motor and found it was only getting around .5V to the harness when I hit the driver's master switch and about .2V when I hit the pass switch.

What do I do now? I'm confused, since it is getting some power. All switches and harnesses are clean.

dodgerammit

Re: Very little power to passenger window motor. Help!

Post by dodgerammit »

You'll have to try to pinpoint where the lack of connection is. Could be simple like a faulty switch.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Power is sent from the drivers door to all the doors... thats why the rear doors open and close slowrly for all of us. The main switch powers them all its pretty dtupid.. people have come up with fixes by installing relays so each window motors gets full power.

So if youre getting super low power in the back its somewhere from that door to the master switch on the drivers door
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
windover90

Post by windover90 »

Good to know, I will start tracing it back and testing voltages. I will try to avoid using relays, but might give it a shot if it comes to it. Thanks!

TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

Like Candyman said- all power to all doors comes through the switches on the drivers door first. You can get a lot of corrosion and dirt both in the drivers door switches themselves and the plug that connects the wiring harness to the switches.

That is most likely the place were most of your resistance is coming from.

You can use a jumper wire across the contacts in the plug (unplug the switches) to see if that improves performance. That takes the old switches out of the loop.

You can also try to clean the switches and plugs by pulling the plug and spraying with electric relay and contact cleaner.

All in all, its a crappy design. Installing relays in all the doors is the ideal solution.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

What i would do is clesn the contacts on the drivers master switch.. but take a small eyeglass flat head and crush the female ends close slightly.. so when the male ends go in it makes s tighter fit for the contacts.

I had this issue on the rear motor window thr female contacts got loose overtime and i had to squish thrm to make em tighter.

(No sexual jokes please haha)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
windover90

Post by windover90 »

Thanks for all the tips! I bought the wagon with manual cranks installed in the front doors, even though it originally came with power from the factory. The power switches, harnesses, and mechs came in a box with the sale (Not fun piecing together PO's undoing!) After ensuring all wiring was still present in the doors, I started by cleaning all of the harnesses and switches. I took apart and thoroughly cleaned and greased the window mechs and reinstalled. I lubed the window tracks too. Plugged it all in and the drivers window goes up/down like butter.

But, nothing on the passenger side. So I started simple. Voltage at the harness coming into the door was fine. Voltage from switch harness to window was way low. So I swapped out the passenger window switch and now we have full power. Thank you dodgerammit. KISS method won the day on this one. And I'm feeling pretty accomplished returning the wagon to stock after the PO gave up on the power windows.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

windover90 wrote:Thanks for all the tips! I bought the wagon with manual cranks installed in the front doors, even though it originally came with power from the factory. The power switches, harnesses, and mechs came in a box with the sale (Not fun piecing together PO's undoing!) After ensuring all wiring was still present in the doors, I started by cleaning all of the harnesses and switches. I took apart and thoroughly cleaned and greased the window mechs and reinstalled. I lubed the window tracks too. Plugged it all in and the drivers window goes up/down like butter.

But, nothing on the passenger side. So I started simple. Voltage at the harness coming into the door was fine. Voltage from switch harness to window was way low. So I swapped out the passenger window switch and now we have full power. Thank you dodgerammit. KISS method won the day on this one. And I'm feeling pretty accomplished returning the wagon to stock after the PO gave up on the power windows.

Good news! :-bd
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD