Radio.keyed power turning on when using tailgate switch

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Radio.keyed power turning on when using tailgate switch

Post by candymancan »

My radio has randomly been turning off and on when i drive and i havent been able to figure this out... and my tailgate switch doesnt work anymorr.. the lever is broken and just wobbles the plastic lever the tailgate keyed switch flips up and down.. and if i do get it to work itll just roll the window up automaticly until i turn it the other direction..

But another odd thing is when i turn the key left to roll the window down.. my dash and radio come on like i have thr key in power in the ignition... and if i turn the key back to center it will shut off power and beep beep beep like i just took the key out of my ignition.

Randomly when i drive i nkti ed my radio and now dash shutting off randomly... How in the heck is the tailgate key controlling my ignition switch ??

This is kinda freaking me out and i think i need to disconnect power to this keyed switch on the tailgate.. i know the switch is bad.. but how is it controlling my ignition power like this ??
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Tripwire

Re: Radio.keyed power turning on when using tailgate switch

Post by Tripwire »

sounds perhaps like some connection issues - most likely grounds..there are many of them, most people poo-poo the one from the battery to the body, see if thats still there or better yet just add a new one
FSJ.ORG JOIN DATE JULY 2000

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Radio.keyed power turning on when using tailgate switch

Post by candymancan »

Already did..i found out the dash switch was stuck up and when i turn the key to go down it somehow caused my radio to turn on lol.

Weirddd
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)