Is this the right way to take apart a leaf spring pack?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
will e

Is this the right way to take apart a leaf spring pack?

Post by will e »

At about 2:24 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfMPHn6x7Uo

the guy takes a pry bar and bends the retainer. I have a bent main spring and am taking the pack apart. Is this the right way to do it and will I be able to bend the retainer back into place? It seems like it is pretty soft metal. My leaf springs are not stock.

It looks good but I don't want to mess it up. Thanks!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Re: Is this the right way to take apart a leaf spring pack?

Post by letank »

this one does the same, at 8:45 and 10:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJzk30s2r0U

I can't remember how I did it... IIRC the clamps where not so beefy
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Thanks, later in the video he uses a different bolt on retainer, unfortunately the ones he bent were on the broken spring.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I have never bent them out like that. I cut them off. Typically they are sold old that after bending them they get brittle. So replace them after changing out the number of leaves or adding the add-a-leaf.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Stuka wrote:I have never bent them out like that. I cut them off. Typically they are sold old that after bending them they get brittle. So replace them after changing out the number of leaves or adding the add-a-leaf.
Thanks Stuka. I already bent them out, I will try bending them back in and if that doesn't work I'll cut them and use regular style retainers. Or just leave them on and add regular ones. I am not launching a space shuttle. ;)

Herk

Post by Herk »

Heat the clamps red hot and let them cool slowly to anneal (soften) them before you reassemble the springs. Otherwise they work harden from bending and might break when you try to bend them back.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Also, find some shims /tools etc to put between the leafs and the clamps when you bend them back. If they are too tight when done they will lead to sqeeks. I have never had a problem whith them breaking and I use a hammer with the shims to put it back in place. Note: remove the shims theyre only used to ensure a gap between the leafs and clamp