BJ’s 21 circuit universal wiring harness

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Bryon

BJ’s 21 circuit universal wiring harness

Post by Bryon »

I am about to begin the installation of the new wiring harness, but I cannot find the instructions
Does anybody have a set they could send me pics of?
I would appreciate any tips for installation too
I can only assume that I do not remove the whole dash because that requires removing the windshield too. If I take the instrument cluster out will that give me enough space and access to work?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: BJ’s 21 circuit universal wiring harness

Post by Stuka »

You can do it without pulling the dash. You just need to be a bit of a contortionist for some things. If its a universal wiring harness, than chances are there arent any instructions for it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

BJ’s said that there is an installation manual that comes with the part, and the PO said he thought it was in the box. So one does exist somewhere

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Why do you need a new wiring harness? Typically these replacement harnesses are for hot rods, with no terminations - basically a fuse panel with a bunch of colored wire. BJ's just resells somebody else's product, so you might be able to find some instructions under the original brand, like Painless or EZ-Wire.

Just a comment - just because the PO gave you the kit with the Jeep does not mean you have to use it. I would encourage you to repair what wiring you have, rather than rip out the original harness and replace it with a universal kit.
Last edited by tgreese on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

My main concern is having to get inside the steering column.
Would I have to remove the wheel and go in from there?

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

The steering column has its own harness. The Universal harness should plug into it.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I don't see how a universal wiring kit helps you with the column. The new harness does not go into the column. It expects you to use the existing column wiring.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

rocklaurence wrote:The steering column has its own harness. The Universal harness should plug into it.
Thanks!
That is a huge relief!

derf

Post by derf »

In fact, the steering column is pure GM standard. Most universal harnesses are super easy to connect.

SkylinePCG

Post by SkylinePCG »

There are instructions, but they are brief and vague. It says things like”colors may not match,” “install harness” and “connect wires.” The wiring isn’t bad but the instructions are horrible.

IMO if you really want to rewrite, Z&M has an excellent, PRETERMINATED harness- they’re spendy and probably cost 5x what the one you have did- but install goes SO. FAST. I got sidelined by winter since I’m doing TBI at the same time, but Zacks stuff is really nice and he’s real good about customer service too.

letank

Post by letank »

tgreese wrote:Why do you need a new wiring harness? -snip-

I would encourage you to repair what wiring you have, rather than rip out the original harness and replace it with a universal kit.
X2, the potentially damaged wiring harness in our riggs is the harness above the passenger side exhaust manifold where the wires are cooked
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

tgreese wrote:Why do you need a new wiring harness? Typically these replacement harnesses are for hot rods, with no terminations - basically a fuse panel with a bunch of colored wire. BJ's just resells somebody else's product, so you might be able to find some instructions under the original brand, like Painless or EZ-Wire.

Just a comment - just because the PO gave you the kit with the Jeep does not mean you have to use it. I would encourage you to repair what wiring you have, rather than rip out the original harness and replace it with a universal kit.
I am going to follow your advice.
The biggest issues are the stereo and heater/ac not working. I am going to check those connections with a voltage meter and trace the wires looking for problems.
Any advice on what would cause those two components specifically to not work?

Thanks!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Do stereo and heat have their own circuits in the wiring? Likely they do. Year/model/equipment? Good to put that in your signature file.

You'll have to test on the car to see what's wrong with the circuits. Start at one end and work back until you find the fault. The most troublesome places are connectors, unless someone has messed with the wiring and cut or spliced in the middle of a wire. All the connectors in the harness are there for assembly line speed, not to make service easier. Corroded or loose connectors are the usual source of open circuits, especially on an old car.

What I did with my old cars 40 years ago was photocopy the wiring diagram I looked up at the library with the enlarge setting of a photocopier, and tape the pages together to make one big diagram. Then I could follow the wires with colored pencils and trace the connections step by step. I'd buy a decent meter - something better than the one that Harbor Freight sometimes gives away - and some long test leads with clips on the ends.

Follow the factory wiring diagram and refuse to be overwhelmed. Look at one circuit at a time trace it though, both on paper and with your meter. Car wiring is really simple if you focus on one circuit at a time.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.