remove tailgate window

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
81waggy

remove tailgate window

Post by 81waggy »

So I'm not entirely sure what the problem is but my tailgate window won't go down at all. I bought a complete parts wagoneer for super cheap and rather than strip it down I decided I was going to turn it into a convertible for the summer months and cruising to the drive in. All the glass is good so I really don't want to destroy anything. But I can't start cutting the roof off until I get the glass out. Once I actually get started on the project I'll start documenting in the build section.

I can get the access panel of the tailgate off, but so far have had no luck. Not sure if the motor is shot, bad wiring or what, but that sucker's not budging.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

derf

Re: remove tailgate window

Post by derf »

If you can get the access panel off, you can pop the two retainers off the arms that connect to the bottom window hardware. Cover the ends of the arms with some padding of some kind. Then you can *carefully* drop the window down. Once the window is down you can drop the tailgate and it gets a lot easier to work on in that position.

GrandW

Re: remove tailgate window

Post by GrandW »

To test the motor, once the rear cover is off identify the power (probably two wires on the driver side). Disconnect via the disconnecting plastic clip, then using a power probe apply power and ground. If it doesnt move, switch the power and ground. If it still doesn't move, the motor is highly likely bad. One way should move the window up, the other down.

If you don't have a power probe, do the same thing with wires connected to the battery and then slipped into the plastic housing. Hopefully this makes sense.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer