AMC 360 Choke & Rear Brackets

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
GrandW

AMC 360 Choke & Rear Brackets

Post by GrandW »

Hi All - have looked at the TSM and don't believe this is a vacuum hose, but can't figure it out what is. It's on the passenger side of the engine, half way between the front and back. It has 1 tube... any thoughts?

Secondary question, but back if the engine has a couple hoses next to the transmission dip stick held on by those clamps. How do those come off?
20180819_134233.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GrandW on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

BCRAWLER

Re: AMC 360 Side... 'thing'

Post by BCRAWLER »

That pipey thing is for the choke on the carb. The clamps you have to cut off. Before you do that where do they go? Usually used on high presure lines and a regular hose clamp cannot hold.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Geez, the choke stove comes up so much.

Photo 1 - Choke stove for the thermoelectric choke. Gr. 4 - L1 in the J-series catalog here: http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

Photo 2 - could be vapor recovery plumbing. Trace it back to its origin and that will tell you what it's for.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
GrandW

Post by GrandW »

BCRAWLER wrote:That pipey thing is for the choke on the carb. The clamps you have to cut off. Before you do that where do they go? Usually used on high presure lines and a regular hose clamp cannot hold.
Ah, the choke. Okay, been watching a bunch of videos now and think I get it. Seems odd that the "lid" the choke tube goes into has so many open holes. Pretty sure I can RTV those shut. Thanks for the insight.

Those clamps/ hoses may be get to stay. Not sure I can re clamp them if those are high pressure. Thanks again.

1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
GrandW

Post by GrandW »

tgreese wrote:Geez, the choke stove comes up so much.

Photo 1 - Choke stove for the thermoelectric choke. Gr. 4 - L1 in the J-series catalog here: http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

Photo 2 - could be vapor recovery plumbing. Trace it back to its origin and that will tell you what it's for.
The pipe just slips in and out. Would guess it's better to RTV in place once the carb is in. Guessing the various holes in the plate are for various setups so it can be moved...

I may look into the electric choke... before your post I hadn't realize there were so many types. Thanks for the assistance.

1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

tgreese

Re: AMC 360 Choke & Rear Brackets

Post by tgreese »

No RTV. It's a slip fit. Look at the picture I referenced. No sealant on the gasket either - it's exposed to hot exhaust gases from the manifold cross-over. All the pipe does is deliver hot air. These is a slight vacuum on the choke cover that draws filtered air from the air horn, through the choke stove, and into the choke cover. There are no extra holes - one pipe in to the stove, one out, and two bolts. Without the bolts, there is nothing holding it on. Tap on the side of the plate and it will come off. This has been covered many times here and at IFSJA - search.

It's not an electric choke, it's thermoelectric, requiring both hot air and electricity. Delete either and it won't open properly. I'm done - read the TSM.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

babywag

Post by babywag »

clamps are the fuel vapor lines, not under any pressure just cut em off and replace. hoses are in sorry shape after several decades.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
GrandW

Post by GrandW »

tgreese wrote:No RTV. It's a slip fit. Look at the picture I referenced. No sealant on the gasket either - it's exposed to hot exhaust gases from the manifold cross-over. All the pipe does is deliver hot air. These is a slight vacuum on the choke cover that draws filtered air from the air horn, through the choke stove, and into the choke cover. There are no extra holes - one pipe in to the stove, one out, and two bolts. Without the bolts, there is nothing holding it on. Tap on the side of the plate and it will come off. This has been covered many times here and at IFSJA - search.

It's not an electric choke, it's thermoelectric, requiring both hot air and electricity. Delete either and it won't open properly. I'm done - read the TSM.
Thanks! Yeah, throwing me off because the previous shop put ample RTV on the seal plate and the 2nd tube in the stove pipe was missing on arrival. With your input, I can search the TSM! Thanks.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
GrandW

Post by GrandW »

babywag wrote:clamps are the fuel vapor lines, not under any pressure just cut em off and replace. hoses are in sorry shape after several decades.
Yes! Very sorry shape. Thanks for the input. I'll have to get some tools to cut them off.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

babywag

Post by babywag »

GrandW wrote:
babywag wrote:clamps are the fuel vapor lines, not under any pressure just cut em off and replace. hoses are in sorry shape after several decades.
Yes! Very sorry shape. Thanks for the input. I'll have to get some tools to cut them off.
simple side cutters and twist/cut on crimp or just snip right through band no special tools needed.
Can even just use a sharp flathead screwdriver and cut/snap them off.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

GrandW wrote:
BCRAWLER wrote:That pipey thing is for the choke on the carb. The clamps you have to cut off. Before you do that where do they go? Usually used on high presure lines and a regular hose clamp cannot hold.
Ah, the choke. Okay, been watching a bunch of videos now and think I get it. Seems odd that the "lid" the choke tube goes into has so many open holes. Pretty sure I can RTV those shut. Thanks for the insight.

Those clamps/ hoses may be get to stay. Not sure I can re clamp them if those are high pressure. Thanks again.

There are only 2 holes for the choke tubes. The other 2 that are bigger are supposed to have bolts that go into the intake.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition