name these parts!

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
64 Gladiator

name these parts!

Post by 64 Gladiator »

Im tearing down a parts truck and have some oddball items im not familiar with, im curious to know more about them...

First is a strange brake booster thing
odd brake booster.jpg
next is this kelsey hayes doohicky
kelseyhayes.jpg
and then two parts to some kind of injection module
geraghty_mpg.jpg
autopulse.jpg

These are coming out of a 1964 j-200, 4000lb gvwr truck that the 1st owner used to haul a race car around in california (dana 53 rear and dana 44-1FS front). The 2nd owner bought it and plucked the big block chrysler out and then cut up the rest of the truck to sell before i became the third owner (kinda sad!). It also has a ram assist set up that im looking forward to swapping over, and would consider using these other items if they are worth holding onto.

Lastly, i noticed the blower motor for the heater core was mounted differently than in my 64 j-200, and the firewall-side of the inner wheel well is flattened/notched to accommodate (looks factory). In my j-200, the blower is rotated 90 degrees and the inner wheel well is not flattened but is rounded like normal.
Was this some kind of air conditioning set up or were there just simply two different heater models?
transverse mounted blower.jpg
i might need to look up how to post pics in the body of the text without having it tied to a url, apologies for just having clickies
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XSapper

Re: name these parts!

Post by XSapper »

Trying to figure out where the reservoir is for the master cylinder in the one picture.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Pretty sure the first is a hydrovac brake booster. http://www.powerbrake-drivetrain.com/hydrovacs/ It works by inserting a new slave and master cylinder in the brake line. The new master is boosted by the vacuum diaphragm.

The others look like some sort of automatic top-end lubrication system, that injects Marvel Mystery Oil or similar into the gasoline.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
64 Gladiator

Post by 64 Gladiator »

Xsapper the resevoir that feeds to the booster is the unit at the left of the pic, a line feeds from that to the left side of the master cylinder just below that zerk fitting . The left resevoir is the stock brake, the right resevoir is for the clutch.

So im not sure if its purely a brake upgrade, or part of the trailer brake setup that includes the kelsey hayes components which appears to be a hydraulic trailer brake system. Ive never messed with one of these, does it use a brake line directly connected to the trailer brakes? Not even sure how that would connect, a soft line i would guess to allow for trailer movement

Tgreese thanks for the link, will take a look. Seems this setup still has front and rear brakes tied to one line, not sure if i want to swap it in without seperating the front/rear for safety reasons.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Thats definitely a hydrovac brake setup.

The second item looks like a resistor of some sort.

Not sure on the bottom two without doing some googling.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

The autopulse is an electric fuel pump, maybe the mechanical pump on the engine the PO had was bypassed?
The kelsey hayes one is an electric brake selective resistor, which would be used with primitive trailer brake units.
The geraghty mpg would have been used with a high compression engine to run non leaded low grade fuel. It would be attached to a jet plumbed to the air intake above the carb and spray an alcohol/water mix basically to reduce detonation. It was common in the 70s and 80s in motorhomes and stuff like that.
I AM THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE!!!!
Just kidding, I googled it haha
Learn something new every day. I think that stuff is cool. I say keep it just because of the cool factor. Especially the Geraghty unit. Leaded fuel is a thing of the past.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Topic author
64 Gladiator

Post by 64 Gladiator »

The autopulse was plumbed directly to the geraghty unit, but the the incoming line to the autopulse was cut so im not sure where it was fed from. Also the stock fuel lines wrap around the front of the engine bay from the driverside framerail to the passenger side where it was also cut. I havent traced them further back yet to see if they are still connected to the tanks, but could have been a mix of mechanical and fuel injection or could have been just fuel injection with the hard lines left in place.

Either way i agree with Phils67, these old units are cool! Ill be looking to verify that they still work and adapt them into my truck somehow, just because i cant help myself lol

Topic author
64 Gladiator

Post by 64 Gladiator »

Oh looking at that pic of the booster, that isnt a zerk fitting. Think its a broken brake line, this might be a front/rear split but with just one resevoir. I need to pull that back out of the parts box and take a closer look

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

64 Gladiator wrote:Oh looking at that pic of the booster, that isnt a zerk fitting. Think its a broken brake line, this might be a front/rear split but with just one resevoir. I need to pull that back out of the parts box and take a closer look
Its a bleeder screw.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Topic author
64 Gladiator

Post by 64 Gladiator »

Indeed, my backyard mechanic vocabulary isnt always on the mark :)

Topic author
64 Gladiator

Post by 64 Gladiator »

Found an id tag "C3400 G 10 12 0 T A" and "midland" cast on the cylinder. I googled it and located a ford website that says the 3400/3401 are out of thunderbirds, but i would hazard a guess it could have come from several vehicles or aftermarket