Crankshaft for AMC 360

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Beh woody

Crankshaft for AMC 360

Post by Beh woody »

Hey guys,
Anyone know where I can pick up a crankshaft for an AMC 360? Mine is junk and I’m having a hard time finding one that hasn’t been welded or turned yet. I know these have to be available sitting around in someone’s garage somewhere? I’m in northern PA, maybe someone has one close by?

babywag

Re: Crankshaft for AMC 360

Post by babywag »

You can widen your search to include 304 cranks they are the same.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

So you want a virgin crank? I expect you'll have to find a running engine that has never been rebuilt. Turning a cast crank is pretty much routine for any thorough rebuild. The crank tends to wear away along with the bearings, and you can't just fit standard bearings and have a quality rebuild. Even a virgin crank will typically need grinding. Wanting a crank that has not been ground seems a little unrealistic for an engine that has been out of production for nearly 30 years.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

Beh woody wrote:Hey guys,
Anyone know where I can pick up a crankshaft for an AMC 360? Mine is junk and I’m having a hard time finding one that hasn’t been welded or turned yet. I know these have to be available sitting around in someone’s garage somewhere? I’m in northern PA, maybe someone has one close by?
if this is the crank with the chewed up thrust bearing, it can be fixed, find a good crankshaft shop, the missing is refilled and ground to the next specs with new caps/ matching bearings

use your favorite search engine " crankshaft repair pennsylvania", you will find a few
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)