Rear window goes down not up with key

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Rear window goes down not up with key

Post by candymancan »

So last night this started.. the window goes down with the key but not up.. It goes up and down with the dash switch.

Is the keyed thingy on the tailgate broken or is possibke a wire got disconnected.. I guess the only way to find out is take the back panel off and roll up the glass but befkre i do im asking here.. Is there two seperate wires for up and down on the keyed switch ? Possible for one to get loose ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

GrandW

Re: Rear window goes down not up with key

Post by GrandW »

Hmmm, do you have a power probe? If you can locate the wires from the key switch, use the probe to add power / ground. This will help you determine the why. If adding these doesn't change anything then it's likely the switch. Might also double check the fuses, shouldn't be an issue, but generally the easiest place to start.

Hope that helps?

Would be great to hear what the final solution is when it's back to working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

With both switches centered, both motor wires are grounded through the dash switch. When you operate the rear switch one motor lead is disconnected from ground and gets 12v, the other is still grounded through the dash.

Since the dash switch works and the rear only works in one direction it seems to me to be a bad rear switch.

A loose wire on the rear switch would result in no movement in either direction with either switch.

Maybe the physical connection between the key and switch broke. Seems unlikely.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Hmm, dangit.. i had a spare key switch too but sold it because i got greedy for money LOL..

Ima check the wires.. I do remember now not too long ago the key switch on the tailgate wouldnt work at all with the key and i had to bang it hard with my palm and it would start working again.... It stopped working going up the other night after i lifted the tailgate up and closed it

Guess its time to look for a new one while i take my panel off and look

I have a probe ill check. But i can see the lights dim slightly going down, and not going up like there is no power but yet it works on the dash
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)