Fuel Tank Strap Update

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
MischenFSJ

Re: Fuel Tank Strap Update

Post by MischenFSJ »

I fabricated my own strap. I used 1/8" steel, 1.5" wide and I needed about 3' of material. It wasn't hard at all, just took about an hour of time. I'll have pictures of it installed shortly. I'm waiting on filler neck parts, sending unit, and pickup from BJ's. See the link below for pictures of the strap with dimensions.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7EMZSNdRUor5yqUs6

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Don't have to do this, but just throwing it in for good measure. If you have a flap wheel or grinding disc you may want to hit those edges of the steel. Save your hands and any wires etc that may potentially come in contact. You can also do the same using a flat file. May also want to hit the drilled holes with a round file as well. Once again, don't have to, but would only take a couple minutes.

Looks good otherwise!

Topic author
MischenFSJ

Post by MischenFSJ »

1979bettywhite wrote:Don't have to do this, but just throwing it in for good measure. If you have a flap wheel or grinding disc you may want to hit those edges of the steel. Save your hands and any wires etc that may potentially come in contact. You can also do the same using a flat file. May also want to hit the drilled holes with a round file as well. Once again, don't have to, but would only take a couple minutes.

Looks good otherwise!
You caught me... I have every intention of doing so. I live in Wi and dont have a garage big enough for my '70 Charger, my wife's car, and the Jeep... so I have to work outside in the cold. I decided to call it quits for the night and go inside to warm up a bit.

I will update more once I have the fuel filler parts and get the tank installed.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

If you're concerned about rubbing at all, you can throw a thin piece of rubber between the strap and tank. I opted to coat both sides with rubberized bedliner in a can. Holding up pretty well after a decade or so, even after MI winters.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank