Alternator Chewing Up Belt

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
RPO

Re: Alternator Chewing Up Belt

Post by RPO »

fulsizjeep wrote:Looks like battery ground is on the alternator tension bolt? If so, not a very good engine ground source. I would move it to the engine block or head.
:-bd

mx71

Post by mx71 »

My 79 came with a/c and it has the original alternator, single pulley.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

will e wrote:Your power steering pump should be on the outer most pulley grooves.
Your alternator is not in the position it would be in if the car had AC. I don't know if they placed it in a different position without AC.
Did you Jeep originally have AC?

On my jeeps the adjuster bracket is on the bottom of the alternator, not the top.
Hey this needs bumped for this reason, and will e needs some props for being the first to point it out. That slidy bracket belongs on the bottom regardless of AC or not, I'm sure of it!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

REDONE wrote:
will e wrote:Your power steering pump should be on the outer most pulley grooves.
Your alternator is not in the position it would be in if the car had AC. I don't know if they placed it in a different position without AC.
Did you Jeep originally have AC?

On my jeeps the adjuster bracket is on the bottom of the alternator, not the top.
Hey this needs bumped for this reason, and will e needs some props for being the first to point it out. That slidy bracket belongs on the bottom regardless of AC or not, I'm sure of it!
Yes, I believe your right. Normally, there is that triangle bracket that mounts to the inside of the alternator [3 points of suport] and the slider is undernieth with a rear bracket for support. Without that triangle, tightening the belt will tilt the pulley --mis-aligning it. Causing the belt wear. Maybe??? :roll:

will e

Post by will e »

REDONE wrote: Hey this needs bumped for this reason, and will e needs some props for being the first to point it out. That slidy bracket belongs on the bottom regardless of AC or not, I'm sure of it!
WILL E for the win! :D
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
RPO

Post by RPO »

rocklaurence wrote: Yes, I believe your right. Normally, there is that triangle bracket that mounts to the inside of the alternator [3 points of suport] and the slider is undernieth with a rear bracket for support. Without that triangle, tightening the belt will tilt the pulley --mis-aligning it. Causing the belt wear. Maybe??? :roll:
THIS!!!

This is what I was thinking when I was tightening the alternator the other day...it seemed to be lacking in support and twisting while I was putting tension on it to crank down the adjustment bolt.

I just picked up a spare engine and box o' parts from the previous owner, I think I remember seeing a triangle-ish bracket floating around in there. I'll investigate and see what I come up with.

Only had the truck for a couple months and this is my first foray into Jeep anything, so I have ZERO pre-existing knowledge about how things should be. Really digging the friendly and knowledgeable support I've been receiving here...thanks guys!

Topic author
RPO

Post by RPO »

This is the bracket I was referring to...not quite as triangle-ish as I thought :-?

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

That looks like half of the power steering bracket. I'll run out to the garage and snap you a pic of the alternator brackets. They are steel and I think it's the same for AC rigs.

EDIT to add an old pic of that aluminum bracket you got, it is part of the power steering mount:

You can also see that there's a tube type thing between the engine head and alternator upper ear, and the "triangle" bracket to the water pump bolts.

The AC version only appears different in that the "triangle" has an extra hole above the alternator ear hole to support the end of the AC compressor plate. Either version of the triangle should work for you.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
RPO

Post by RPO »

Welp, looks like I'll be on the hunt for the correct alternator bracket.

Thanks for snapping the pics REDONE, at least now I know kinda what I'm looking for!

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Full disclosure, I dug up an old pic from a mock up. There's a bunch of stuff piled on the inside Jeep and I'd have to put on shoes and find a flashlight for the outside Jeep. :oops:
Grizzly Locker Rear

will e

Post by will e »

REDONE wrote:That looks like half of the power steering bracket. I'll run out to the garage and snap you a pic of the alternator brackets. They are steel and I think it's the same for AC rigs.

EDIT to add an old pic of that aluminum bracket you got, it is part of the power steering mount:

You can also see that there's a tube type thing between the engine head and alternator upper ear, and the "triangle" bracket to the water pump bolts.

The AC version only appears different in that the "triangle" has an extra hole above the alternator ear hole to support the end of the AC compressor plate. Either version of the triangle should work for you.
Redone, you are quite the 'stud muffin'. ;)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
RPO

Post by RPO »

REDONE wrote:Full disclosure, I dug up an old pic from a mock up. There's a bunch of stuff piled on the inside Jeep and I'd have to put on shoes and find a flashlight for the outside Jeep. :oops:
Ha! I'll take what I can get!

Any of that "stuff" piled on the inside Jeep an extra alternator bracket you'd be willing to part with? :mrgreen:

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

So we are supposed to have that triangle bracket? This is the first I have seen of it! Lol, learn something new every day. So the op has first dibs, but if someone has 2 of these floating around I'd like to be second in line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Is this it?Image

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Yep! Looks like it!
Grizzly Locker Rear

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Redone you are a true hero!

Topic author
RPO

Post by RPO »

I need to learn to fabricate...inflation is a mother!

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

will e wrote:
Redone, you are quite the 'stud muffin'. ;)
Haha! saw this last night on my phone and forgot until I just saw it again now! That was the mock up I was doing. A couple of AMC engines I've had over the years had issues with the block threads for the timing cover so I wanted to get ahead of it on this one. I installed all the tin with those studs peened into the block and then marked them. Dissassembled it all, cut the studs. Figured it'd make installing the timing gasket and stuff easier too.

RPO, that bracket would be a PITA to fabricate. Those bends being so close together means it was probably stamped/punched/cut in a single die, so it's not something you could pump out with a brake. The bends are crucial too, the heater hose just barely fits behind it. :geek:
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
RPO

Post by RPO »

So, I should be receiving a new bracket from ebay tomorrow similar to the one shown above by toothofwar.

My question now is whether this bracket will work if I do the CS-144 conversion. I've only been driving the Jeep occasionally since I bought it a couple months back and all the while I've had charging issues. Replaced the alternator and belt and then the other day after driving it for about an hour or so it died on me in a parking lot. Had to jump it to get it back up and running. Pretty sure the current alternator is no match for the electric fans that are on it.

Now, I could pull them off and find a clutch type fan...but I eventually plan on adding more electrical accessories so an alternator upgrade is probably something I should look into sooner rather than later. Some of the threads I've read on the conversion say that '78 and later brackets will work...just looking for some verification on whether that's true and if the above pictured bracket fits that bill.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Are the electric fans running all the time, or are they on some sort of binary switch, or just a standard switch you have in the cab?

What are you planning to do with the jeep? If not rock crawling etc, then it might be best just to switch back to the clutch fan. I have an extra I pulled off a J20 earlier this year. Have not tested the clutch functionality, but you can always replace that clutch pretty easily.