Fuel delivery

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
eblanks

Fuel delivery

Post by eblanks »

I had to replace the gas tank on my 78 Cherokee. With all the fuel lines disconnected, I'm wondering if any of you have an opinion on replacing fuel lines. The fuel deliver and return line are a combination of rubber hose and steel tube. I have already replaced some of the rubber hose. Does it make any sense to run steel tube the whole way and cancel out all of the rubber hose? Seems to me the more places you have to join rubber to steel is a potential leak point.

Thanks
Eric

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Fuel delivery

Post by Stuka »

You need at least some short lengths of rubber to account for chassis flex and vibration. I would just replace the rubber section with rubber lines that are ethanol safe, so that you don't have to replace them again in a few years.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

I have a 79 Chief and I replaced all the rubber hoses. They are still available, you just have to search to find the correct ones for our Chiefs. They are NOT all the same.
I believe the 'Team Wagoneer' site had everything I needed.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

The steel is used in critical areas prone to puncture or heat. All steel is overkill. I like overkill....
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I would think that you could use some standard fuel line in the correct diameter to replace what is already there. It's pretty standard stuff. And I agree with Stuka in that you need some rubber in the lines, because as we all know, you will be dropping that tank at least 3-4 more times to mess with the sending unit :), as we all have to. Having the rubber lines is nice for a split to be able to disconnect and drop the tank.

But when it comes to fill and vent hoses, you may only be able to find those at certain places. Or you might have to craft your own.