?- re: Trackbar Mount

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Theodore

?- re: Trackbar Mount

Post by Theodore »

With all the talk of returning our Wagoneer to stock height, from 3” lift, Ive been under it a lot lately - and saw something that gave me pause, having watched quite a few “death wobble” videos on youtube... Am wondering what the community says about this.

Can say, I ran it by an alignment shop to see what they had to say. Tests showed no obvious movement, both recommended welding a washer on it to tighten up the hole.

As we think about lowering it, am thinking about going new for suspension related components. Originally, was just thinking springs/shocks, but am now thinking that, plus sway bar ends links, tie rod ends, and steering stabilizer shock. And, wondering about whether to add a track bar and drag link to the list, so at the end - we know what we have vs. fixing one thing after another one at a time...

From what i can tell, the Wagoneer has sat for possibly years, and the more i drive it, the more seals leak, etc.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

fulsizjeep

Re: ?- re: Trackbar Mount

Post by fulsizjeep »

The track bar mount holes are supposed to be slotted for fitment. When you put some spring lift on, the track bar bolt will need to slide to the right in that picture in order to make up for the lift. In my opinion, track bars are pretty pointless unless you are towing a lot. If it were me lowering back to stock, I would do the springs and shocks first (sure, steering stabilizer too - it looks original), then have a reputable alignment shop look over the steering, sway bar and track bar components before just replacing it all.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac