brake drum over tightening

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Re: brake drum over tightening

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Well I think I am back to the drawing board on this issue as the passenger side is still getting much hotter than the driver side. When I got to work today I could put my fingers on the drum of the driver's side and hold them there for a few seconds before it was too hot. The passenger side wheel was warm to the touch and I could basically only touch the drum on that side. Very hot.

So apart they will come again this weekend. Will be putting all new hardware in (although I don't think that will fix this issue), and I am going to check the parking brake cable and see how it is releasing (or not releasing). After that, I guess I would be down to the shoes and the drum, but I don't think those are the culprit. Thought about flushing all the fluid out and replacing with new, but I believe it's fairly new fluid already.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Too much tension on the brake cable would cause it to drag. Maybe disconnect the right cable at the splitter for a few days.

Just don't forget you've done it and try to use the parking brakes.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Parking brakes on jeeps are solely a suggestion to the jeep. Not a piece of mind for the owner. Wheel chocks go everywhere with my jeeps.

Some lessons I have learned the hard way:

Will probably do as you suggest and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Sounds like a bad wheel cylinder and/or the adjustment of the shoes themselves. Loosen both sides up to the point where you spin the wheels easily and leave it there. Ride that way for a day of use ... see what happens. Taking apart the parking brake assembly is a bad idea. That system is designed to put equal force to both side when applied. Do not use the parking brake for a few days after you loosen the brake shoes. Process of elimination. See what happens.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Actually replaced the cylinder a couple of days ago along with all the hardware (Raybestos stuff). Replaced both the driver and passenger adjustment mechanisms with all new hardware. Adjusted both side so they touched the drums, then backed them off a few clicks on the adjustment wheel.
Everything seems to be working fine now. Both sides seem to be getting equally warm on every drive. No overheating on the passenger side. So I am considering this one solved for the moment.

I am still hearing a slight chirp from the passenger rear. Goes away when I apply the brakes. When I spun the axle shafts while I had the drums off, they spun nicely. Felt very smooth. May still pull them and check for wear on the bearings and surfaces, but I think they are ok. Just need to figure out what the chirp is. Since it goes away when I apply the brakes, I am thinking it is still brake related.

Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

A chirp can be as simple as a slight metal to metal contact in the rotational assembly. Pinpointing it 'front or rear' is a great first step. I have seen disk brake backing plates create that problem too. I suspect a piece of hardware making contact with the inside of one of the drums.
It will show itself eventually.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

As an update and a close to this saga, lol, I have finally fixed the squeak. No one laugh please.

Pulled the passenger side drum back off. Only thing I found was the spring that puts upward pressure on the auto adjusting lever from the back of the shoe was protruding slightly outside of the shoe. Pushed it all the way in, re-installed the drum and wa-la. No more squeak.

Something so small making me pull my hair out. Thanks to Fast79 for encouraging me to look again at all the hardware potentially making contact with the drum.

Now all is quiet as a mouse in the rear-end. All fresh hardware, shoes, drums, bearings and chromoly axle shafts. Should not have to touch the rear end for a long time. Until I decide I may want to re-gear in the future, lol. But for now I am very happy.

Thanks to all for all the help and suggestions.