Aftermarket Ignition Module Recommendations?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Aftermarket Ignition Module Recommendations?

Post by Fast79Chief »

I think it's time to replace the factory ignition module in my 79 Chief. 40 years ... yeah it'll probably leave me stranded somewhere soon.
The unit bolted to the drivers fender is a Motorcraft 12A199 unit.

I've heard that there are some 'junk' modules out there now to avoid. Which module would you guys who know these things recommend for quality ?

Thanks.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

tgreese

Re: Aftermarket Ignition Module Recommendations?

Post by tgreese »

OEM Motorcraft is probably the best there was. I'd suggest you buy a NAPA module and stash it in the Jeep somewhere. Or a Standard https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 85&jsn=398
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Thanks Tim, I found a listing for an exact Motorcraft 12A199 ... I think I'll buy it. The heck with those parts store brands. Thanks for your advice. A buddy gave me a used factory one from a 390 Ford pickup, same input and output leads ... I'll keep that one in the Chief as a backup.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

It sounds like you have a solution for now. I just want to say that I don't trust any electric or electronic parts made by Wells. I had bad luck with them many years ago and refuse to buy their stuff today. I am also wary of Omix Ada components. When it comes to Prestolite ignitions (75-77 models), I had the best luck with Borg Warner for longevity. Their module was quite a bit more expensive but worth the investment.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Omix has proven to me to be junk too. I have a 96 XJ also and I wont buy anymore of their stuff.
Does Wellls make the Motorcraft line?

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

MSD 6AL
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

[quote="ShagWagon"]MSD 6AL[/quote

This.

I run the basic Streetfire module. Not worried about leaky goo, or dying without warning.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Fast79Chief wrote:Omix has proven to me to be junk too. I have a 96 XJ also and I wont buy anymore of their stuff.
Does Wellls make the Motorcraft line?
Yes.

We have HEI on two Jeeps so far. I bought 2 more from Skip White. They are cheap enough to have a complete spare on hand. Single power wire. Almost too easy.
https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/ca ... 2-r_89664/
Flint Boardman

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

fulsizjeep, I have a new MSD Pro Billet distributor in there now, running off the factory ignition box. 8mm HEI wires. I suppose I could upgrade the coil with one with more output? An MSD ignition box would replace the factory ignition box ... but it's all working right now.

Any suggestions?

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Times 2 on the Skip White HEI. I use the original gear on the White distributer and have never had one fail in 8 years. Switching over to HEI and removing the Smog/vaacum lines is the first thing I do on a FSJ. Next upgrades are FSSR, Twin Stick Shifters for the NP229, Tow Hitch Receiver etc.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Fast79Chief wrote:fulsizjeep, I have a new MSD Pro Billet distributor in there now, running off the factory ignition box. 8mm HEI wires. I suppose I could upgrade the coil with one with more output? An MSD ignition box would replace the factory ignition box ... but it's all working right now.

Any suggestions?
I have had a few Jacobs units over the years but never ran any MSD products. In hind site on the Jacobs, it is a lot of money to invest if I still end up running the stock ignition module.
Flint Boardman

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

You can run a HEI 4pin module with the Motocraft distributor. That is what I am running in my '77. Cheap and easy.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

I have a new MSD Pro Billet distributor in there with new HEI wires and new plugs. I was still chasing a low rpm roughness and off throttle miss until yesterday. I installed a new Motorcraft Duraspark box. What a difference! No more miss or hesitation, running really smooth.
The only thing left under the hood to replace is the coil. I'm not sure what unit to go with that will be compatible. I know that I dont want an Omix-Ada junk.
Any suggestions let me know. No ... I wont be pulling my brand new distributor to put in an HEI.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I can't blame you for sticking with your new dizzy. I would be tempted to use an MSD coil that can give me 45K+ volts output. The MSD8202 comes to mind. If you go with a high output coil, you can increase spark plug gap to .045-050".
Flint Boardman

derf

Post by derf »

I have an MSD distributor with their Blaster 2 coil in my truck right now. It's driving some Champion RN12YC plugs gapped at 0.045". It's being driven by a GM module that interfaces with my fuel injection to give me full electronic spark control. I have zero ignition related issues. If I didn't have the electronic control I wouldn't hesitate to drop in one of the various MSD6 controllers, depending on what features I wanted (like rev limiter).

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I’d go MSD coil, digital 6AL module and MSD wires just to be all aftermarket compatibility with your MSD distributor.

Then you don’t guess anymore.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Nope. Just a coil recommendation is all I need.