Headlight Upgrade Capability?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Cecil14

Re: Headlight Upgrade Capability?

Post by Cecil14 »

That's not a terrible drop. Try it with a headlight plugged in and on for a few minutes drawing some current, see if you're creating enough resistance and heat through the circuit to drop the voltage significantly. The meter doesn't really draw enough current to cause any significant resistance (although the other headlight should create a decent amount). I would test both sockets, see if the additional length and crimps from one side to the other change things. Try it with the high beams as well, curious how much difference that makes.

This is for my genuine curiosity, not a jab in any way, nor trying to "find a problem that doesn't exist." I do agree on the bulbs, new bulbs are going to out perform ancient ones hands down. Something else likely causing a difference is wattage. Stock bulbs were 65W/35W, I believe? By comparison, Sylvania SilverStars (their high end bulbs) claim to be 55W on the low beams. That's a 36% increase, pretty huge jump; you're essentially running high beams in place of the factory low beams. I would not be shocked to find that the higher end bulbs also have much better reflectors, putting more of the light down the road. Bottom line, bulb choice definitely matters.

I'm curious how much changed, if any, on the Chryo era wags? I don't think they got relays or anything, but with the dash change, did they modify the headlight circuit at all? They ditched the amp meter, which already made a HUGE difference. More than anything else, I'd recommend the relay upgrade as a safety precaution. Pulling all that power in through the dash and headlight switch was a terrible idea back when all the wiring was new. Now these rigs are all at least 27 years old, most a decade more, and wiring does not get better with age.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I guess I have to re-iterate as well that LEDs made a significant difference for me as opposed to halogens. I retained basically the stock look, stock wiring, and have ample light output and a bulb that will last a long, long time. Relays, wires etc. are not that expensive, but I think I did my LED conversion for roughly $80, so really not that much more:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0784 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headlight ... +led&psc=1

Although you can spend whatever you want on LEDs. I would recommend reading reviews.

dbabicky

Post by dbabicky »

letank wrote:
Fast79Chief wrote:I agree ... that is a lot of money for that harness. I think I paid 39.95 for my Chevy K20 upgraded harness from LMC truck about 8 years ago.
I looked at LMC, it is $200 in 2018...
I don't know what you're looking at, but I just looked up the "Heavy Duty Relay Headlight Harness" for the 73-87 Chevy trucks,(the same ones I ordered and used on my 1975 J-10 and my 1998 Jeep Wrangler with the H-4 Hella headlights), and it's still $29.95 just like I paid 7-8 years ago.
Just go to LMC.com and plug in 1973-87 Chevy truck with single headlights. Search for Heavy Duty Headlight Harness. Bingo----$29.95 !!

letank

Post by letank »

dbabicky wrote: I don't know what you're looking at, but I just looked up the "Heavy Duty Relay Headlight Harness" for the 73-87 Chevy trucks,(the same ones I ordered and used on my 1975 J-10 and my 1998 Jeep Wrangler with the H-4 Hella headlights), and it's still $29.95 just like I paid 7-8 years ago.
Just go to LMC.com and plug in 1973-87 Chevy truck with single headlights. Search for Heavy Duty Headlight Harness. Bingo----$29.95 !!
Cool, I guess, I missed it. Thank you, it is on page 107, bottom left
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

az chip

Post by az chip »

Fast79Chief wrote:I installed an aftermarket headlight harness yesterday. 2 relays, fused power wire, ceramic plugs, and true 14 gauge wire throughout. USA made too. Will let you know tonight the difference it makes.
Well? We're waiting... :D Unless it all burned down. Then sorry.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

So is the LMC chevy kit a direct plug in for our fsj? If so it's getting ordered this weekend. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

letank

Post by letank »

toothofwar wrote:So is the LMC chevy kit a direct plug in for our fsj? If so it's getting ordered this weekend. Lol

I am sure that the chevy kit will fit... it is basically connectors and a length of wire between L and R and the battery.

You can go to the far east and buy one for $16.10 shipping Included on dabay... we need a volunteer... no thermal fuse like Serehill had on his kit... the relay are not the top of the line either... and who knows about the wires....
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

cecil i couldnt use the multimeter on the plug when the ligjt in as the pkug only comes out like 1 inch.. no room and i dont really wanna stab my wiring creating a hole for water to get in.. But ill figure something out. Regardless voltage going to the wires didnt drop that mucj from the battery and this is what the discussion was about correct ? voltage dropping from 100 feet of wiring ?

I have that issue for the door windows but the headligjt wiring .7v isnt really anything.. Maybe i can stick a thin wire in the plug as i install the headlight so i can get a reading with the meter with both headlights on. But regardless once the engine is running and charge voltage drops to more stable 13.13.5v give or take im going to assume headlight voltage will follow and drop to probably 12.3 to 12.8 (if i was at 13 to 13.5 at the battery i mean using the .74 drop).

My question is what is the voltage you are reading at the plug if you have the relays installed and what is that in corralation to your battery.. As for my wires getting hot.. They dont even get warm when running. the only thing that gets warm is the switch
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

The wiring to the passenger side headlight runs too close to the radiator, so it gets baked and the insulation cracks
and the wire corrodes internally. The rest of the wiring cracks just from old age. Connectors corrode, wire terminals
crack and break or just get weak. Electrical systems need maintenance same as everything else on an old truck.
Replacing the headlight wiring when upgrading headlights is better than doing it after something burns. Not that hard.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

I went with an LED upgrade. Maintained the stock look, stock wiring. Much brighter with much lower current draw. Round headlights in this post, but I did square lights on my '87 with the same method and same results. Install was easy.

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=14299
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

dbabicky

Post by dbabicky »

toothofwar wrote:So is the LMC chevy kit a direct plug in for our fsj? If so it's getting ordered this weekend. Lol

Yes, plug and play as long as you order the one for the single headlight on each side.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

az chip wrote:
Fast79Chief wrote:I installed an aftermarket headlight harness yesterday. 2 relays, fused power wire, ceramic plugs, and true 14 gauge wire throughout. USA made too. Will let you know tonight the difference it makes.
Well? We're waiting... :D Unless it all burned down. Then sorry.
Az chip, I am in process with the US manufacturer of this Heavy Duty harness to make one modification for our full size jeeps. I am very happy with the quality of this product. It blows away the Chinese or Taiwan harness that LMC sells. I have an LMC harness in my 72 K20 ... there's no comparison. I'll be posting info about ordering and website shortly.
Thanks.
Last edited by Fast79Chief on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

UPDATE: I am happy to say that we now have a Front Headlight Harness resource that is USA made specifically for Full Size Jeeps.
I am working with the owner of the company to be able to make harnesses specifically for our vehicles.
If you call there for one of these harnesses, the owner and tell him Phil from PA sent you. There may not be a 'drop-down' yet for this harness on his website, but he knows exactly what you need if you tell him 'Full Size Jeep'.
Great guy, great quality USA product ... excellent price!
Thanks.
Last edited by Fast79Chief on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Hows the pricing? I know a custom harness isnt going to be cheap, just looking for ballpark. A wise man once told me there is 3 things to know about service. Quick, cheap, and good quality. You can pick only 2. If its quick and cheap, no quality. Quick and quality ain't cheap. And cheap and quality wont be quick.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Just to throw a gear in the works, Mass over at the mothership is starting to produce harnesses for us as well. Looks like he's using very high quality parts, and the price looks to be right at $90 shipped (last I saw).

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=186308

Not trying to vote for either side, as I'm not even in the market for a harness. Just like to throw out options to everyone.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

I have no idea (well I have a few) why anyone would have negative things to say about a product they have personally never seen or touched. I have personally researched, sought out, and worked closely with an ESTABLISHED harness maker (makes harnesses here in the USA for other Jeep models), to make a very high quality harness specifically for FSJ vehicles. Price is NOT the determinant of quality. QUALITY is the determinant of quality. The price is unbeatable to boot. I'm not on here to 'shill' for any vendor on here ... there are others who are. The info has been provided ... I'm the first in the USA to have one of their FSJ specific harnesses .. its top quality construction and made my headlights 70% brighter with no other changes. Period.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

70% brighter? Did you test the lumens before and after the harness?

And I don't see anyone saying anything negative about anything?

aa

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

toothofwar ... you wont get these "quick", each one is made to order.
Cecil14 ... my personal visual observations and a mechanic friend feel the difference is well more than 50% brighter with the same sealed beams. If you followed this thread from MY first post, I had a problem with very poor headlight brightness ... this harness cured the problem.
Please do not harass me on this post as you have on other sites ... I thought those days were over. I do not have a 'lab study' for you or a 'double-blind placebo study' to verify my results ... and I don't need one. Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth. If you do not need a front light harness, please move on and do not PooPoo on my thread.
Thanks.
Last edited by Fast79Chief on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

"Just to throw a gear in the works". ???
Why the jab? You're own words, "I am not in the market for a harness ... " So please do not interject an opposing opinion sight unseen.
You are supposed to 'walk on by' rather than create drama or trouble.
Dont make me sorry I did all this work for the group.
Thanks.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

I'm not "poopooing" anything, and you should probably move on from anything internet if you expect people to not hold you to claims. Stating you got 70% brighter headlights with absolutely no proof is extremely misleading. You're going to get called on that, get used to it.

You should probably reread toothofwar's post as well; he asked a question, and made a statement that is absolutely correct. There's nothing negative there at all.

Yes, I threw a gear in the works, a standard colloquialism. I added to the options here. You don't have to like it, nor do you have to like me. You started a post asking for options for headlight harnesses, I put another option out there for you and others. The options do not end because you have found something you are happy with. The purpose of this forum, including your posts, is to help inform everyone here.

Lastly: I don't personally need a harness, though I may at some point, but I do like to see options for our stuff and I've been supporting the thread with each post. I will continue to do so, while keeping myself informed as well, with or without your wishes should I have something pertinent to add. This is a private forum, it is not *yours* and that includes the threads you may create/add to. No one has harassed you here, and I certainly don't plan to be the first. I am not supposed to "walk on by," whatever that is supposed to mean. I am a member of this forum, just as you are, and I will add information whenever/wherever I can.

aa