Drip Rail corner pieces for those without the molding?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Drip Rail corner pieces for those without the molding?

Post by jpswapmohn »

For those rigs that did not come with the stainless or plastic rain drip rail molding, what is used in the front corners above the front doors? Is there a clip-on trim piece that is painted body color?

My body is an 88, so it had the plastic drip rail molding. If what I have read through searches is true, the plastic molding was thicker/larger than the stainless stuff used on the older rigs. I know my metal corner pieces will not attach to the rails without the moldings. But what about the Cherokees, wagons and trucks that did not have the molding? Was there a smaller clip-on corner piece? Did they actually make complete drip rails that didn't require a corner piece?

My passenger side gap is relatively small but the driver's side is quite large. The jeep is freshly painted and being reassembled. It is "too late" to try welding metal in there and shaping it. (yea, I know, it is never actually too late. but to cost would be excessive for my already smoked bank account from the body and paint work..)
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

candymancan

Re: Drip Rail corner pieces for those without the molding?

Post by candymancan »

Fyi the molding on the Grand wagoneers or the few older wagoneers.. cherokees that did have the molding.. Didnt really use thr entire corner peice to channle water. There is a type of silicone in there to fill the gap and the molding just acts as the wall. But the bottom without silicone is empty. If you take the corner peice off you see its two seperate rails.. and youll see the silicone you squished in between the rails to keep the water flowing down the to / angled peice

Now for the Jeeps that didnt have the wall chrome molding.. Im not sure.. sorry.. just thought id through out the info for you.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

That's good to know.
From staring at pictures of those rigs that did not have molding, particularly the 4-door Cherokees, it does appear they have the corner clip piece, just in body color. It has to be smaller than the ones that did have molding on the rails. Guess I just need to find a set of those and have them painted body color ... and problem would be solved.

Anyone have a set sitting on a parts rig out there somewhere?
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

The ones from Grand Wagoneer probly wont work... Too big they dont even fit on the stainless covers when i installed stainless covers on my 90 i had to use the stainsless cover corners

So if you do get two corner peices id get the ones from the stainless wagoneers.. Itll prob work fine then as the stainless isnt very thick.. but i imagine thatll be hard to find.

I have an extra 1 or 2 corner peices from the grand wagoneers.. If you want it.. Pay shipping and ill mail it out so you can see if you can get it to work somehow
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Maybe the ones you have can be crimped in place.

Might make some dies out of aluminum to work with Vice Grips.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I have the ones from my 88. They are considerably too large. I don't know if they could be crimped without making creases and such in the exposed face. I may give it a try.

If anyone has a set from a rig that didn't have the molding, I would be interested.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I have a 78 Cherokee with steel drip rails. The corners on mine don’t meet. There is just a corner piece welded in place to fill the gap. I’ll get a pic and post it today.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

rlrhodes711

Post by rlrhodes711 »

MadMax78 wrote:I have a 78 Cherokee with steel drip rails. The corners on mine don’t meet. There is just a corner piece welded in place to fill the gap. I’ll get a pic and post it today.
Here is a pic of mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

looks like I need a set of those..
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)