Couple heat related questions

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Couple heat related questions

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I recently did a refurb on my heater box while I had the A/C out. I went ahead and applied some new "foam" to the back of the heater door where it seals to the opening, not allowing any heat through.

First question:

1. I am actually getting heat blowing out (no fan running) when my position is Off on both the vacuum selector switch as well as the fan switch. When I do select heat I can hear the vacuum solenoid open up to start letting heat through (even though its already coming through), and when I then select a speed for the fan, I do get a change in the amount of heat being pushed out. And yes, I do have all my vacuum lines connected correctly. The defrost selector switch does switch it from heat to the defrost vents up top. So my question, has anyone else experienced heat still coming out when all switches are in the off position? Maybe this has something to do with the foam I used and it not being able to allow the door to seal enough? I don't think the temperate control switch needs to be moved to the "cool" side to stop the flow of air. Which leads to my second question, which is probably an easier answer....

2. My heater control cable is all attached correctly, but I believe the clamp that attaches to the vacuum selector switch should clamp around the sleeve that the wire travels through? I believe mine is "broken" in that moving the temperature selector from warm to cool and vice versa will move the whole cable assembly and not just the wire in the sleeve to the door in the heater box, thus not changing the position of the door. But if I hold the actual cable sleeve in place and then move the selector, I can get the wire to move inside the sleeve and change the position of the door. Does anyone have a decent fix for this, or do I just need to get a new cable assembly?

mx71

Re: Couple heat related questions

Post by mx71 »

1. Take apart the vacuum selector in the instrument panel, clean it, grease it, then put it back together, then lube all the pivot points on the switch itself. I find on my 79 that I have to give a real solid press onto the switch to get it to actually switch, and sometimes if I want to switch from heat to defrost, I have to go heat-off-defrost, or defrost-off-heat to get it to actually switch, then a good hard press to actually get it off.

2. I could be wrong, but I believe the sleeve is held in place near the heater box.

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Did same to mine had same problem. Had to use thinner foam for the seal and make sure foam was not over the edges it sealer against. Also made sure the door was completely closed by hand then attached the control cable. Also made sure the cable housing was straight and well lubed and the wire portion extended fully be for attaching and tightening the clamp. I could slam the door shut after that.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Cheap Hobby wrote:Did same to mine had same problem. Had to use thinner foam for the seal and make sure foam was not over the edges it sealer against. Also made sure the door was completely closed by hand then attached the control cable. Also made sure the cable housing was straight and well lubed and the wire portion extended fully be for attaching and tightening the clamp. I could slam the door shut after that.
Yeah I am thinking that is probably most of my problem. My vacuum selector switch seems to be working just fine as one press will shut it off and switch it. So I guess the box is coming back out. At least now I can drop my A/C relatively easy and get to the nuts on the back of the firewall to remove the box.