Best Cold Weather Battery, Grand Wagoneer

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
AdrianS

Best Cold Weather Battery, Grand Wagoneer

Post by AdrianS »

New to forum and own a 1989 GW.

Moved to Maine and it's gonna get cold soon and am looking to upgrade my battery for best reliability and cold weather starts... I have used and like Odyssey, but can't seem to find one via their website - appreciate any advice. I would go for high CCA and deep cycle charging, but I'm a novice, so again, any advice on what to look for much appreciated.

Adrian

REDONE

Re: Best Cold Weather Battery, Grand Wagoneer

Post by REDONE »

Highest CCAs that will fit. I've had AGM and lead/acid both freeze up and crack the battery shell on me, but both were at least 5 years old. Just don't waste your money on an optima, I've been suckered into several and they are no better than any other battery.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

letank

Post by letank »

battery blanket warmer, and a thermostatically controlled plug to start the warmer when temp dips below freezing

I have no experience with real cold weather... I carry a battery booster that is fully charged... and stored inside if stuff happens...

this stuff looks interesting... the temp thermocouple is separate

ttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V4TJR00/ref=sspa_d ... f9d4ca2866

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
AdrianS

Post by AdrianS »

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

The best battery is one with the highest cold cranking amps you can fit.

I have a monster battery in my wagoneer. Got it from walmart its like 850 cca and 1000 cranking amps 65N size lol its huge but thanks to the big engine bay it fits just fine. It also has a very long reserve charge on it i believe it can last over 150 minutes.

Id get that if you can find one. It was only 100$ too.

I wouldnt spend 300$ on a battery man
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

I have an Odyssey and luv it!
Optima is a horrible brand... once was great but production moved to Mexico and after that its just gone down hill.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

As an FYI, you don't want a deep cycle in a car. But like the others said, biggest that will fit. Brand isn't super important as long as its not some no-name battery. Lead acid batteries are nothing new, and very simple tech. Just comes down to manufacturing quality.

Personally and via friends, had good luck with Orbitals, Optimas, Exides, and Diehard. I can't even recall the last time I saw a battery fail early. I always seem to get 6-7 years out of them.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I have to correct my post after i looked at my battery the 65N was too big. I used the 27 size battery from walmart.. My 27 is 810 CCA 1000 normal cranking and i think 130 or 150 hours of power..

27 is still a huge battery.. Its a battery you use on boats i think lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

East Penn, Exide, or Johnson Controls... nearly every car battery in the US is made by one of those three. They just have different labels for different retailers. Highest cca and a battery blanket and you should be ok. I have the same battery in mine that I installed in 2012 here in Ny.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Wagonsauce

Post by Wagonsauce »

It's an old thread, but nonetheless relevant lol. My wife says the same thing even tho she digs the cash I make from playing around with them lol. Just joined this forum btw, and this is my first post on it ;)...

Wagonsauce

Post by Wagonsauce »

Stuka wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 am As an FYI, you don't want a deep cycle in a car. But like the others said, biggest that will fit. Brand isn't super important as long as its not some no-name battery. Lead acid batteries are nothing new, and very simple tech. Just comes down to manufacturing quality.

Personally and via friends, had good luck with Orbitals, Optimas, Exides, and Diehard. I can't even recall the last time I saw a battery fail early. I always seem to get 6-7 years out of them.
You can use a deep a cycle battery on a car or truck without any problems, but, you have to make sure it's the regular deep cycle and not the one for trolling motors. I only use deep cycle batteries on cars or trucks or boats and have never had a problem. We own/owned sneeds upholstery where all we did was rebuild pontoon boats, reupholster and carpet them, and build covers for regular boats and was in business for the better part of 50 yrs and in all that time (we're closed now cause my uncle Dave, the one who started the business passed away and nobody wanted to keep the doors open without him) we've (as in all of my family) only used marine grade deep cycle batteries, but you do have to make sure it's just a regular one and not the ones specially made for trolling motors because those will jack up your vehicle. Having said that, i love how deep cycle batteries work and how low they'll go before they die, and the way they just keep taking a beating and coming back to life after you charge them back up or get whatever it's on running again. It started out just being convenient to be honest, cause there always seemed to be a battery laying around that come off of one boat or another when I needed one in a pinch. But now that 20 or so yrs has passed using them, it's just what my family uses, even given the choice of a regular car battery we take the deep cycle lol. Only real bad part of using a boat battery in a car or truck is that they're expensive as hell. Other than that its all good.
Last edited by Wagonsauce on Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wagonsauce

Post by Wagonsauce »

Phils67 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:01 am East Penn, Exide, or Johnson Controls... nearly every car battery in the US is made by one of those three. They just have different labels for different retailers. Highest cca and a battery blanket and you should be ok. I have the same battery in mine that I installed in 2012 here in Ny.
It's an old thread, but nonetheless relevant lol. My wife says the same thing even tho she digs the cash I make from playing around with them lol. Just joined this forum btw, and this is my first post on it ;)... edit* I put this comment in the wrong spot lol oopsy.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Wagonsauce wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:23 am
Stuka wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 am As an FYI, you don't want a deep cycle in a car. But like the others said, biggest that will fit. Brand isn't super important as long as its not some no-name battery. Lead acid batteries are nothing new, and very simple tech. Just comes down to manufacturing quality.

You can use a deep a cycle battery on a car or truck without any problems, but, you have to make sure it's the regular deep cycle and not the one for trolling motors. I only use deep cycle batteries on cars or trucks or boats and have never had a problem. We own/owned sneeds upholstery where all we did was rebuild pontoon boats, reupholster and carpet them, and build covers for regular boats and was in business for the better part of 50 yrs and in all that time (we're closed now cause my uncle Dave, the one who started the business passed away and nobody wanted to keep the doors open without him) we've (as in all of my family) only used marine grade deep cycle batteries, but you do have to make sure it's just a regular one and not the ones specially made for trolling motors because those will jack up your vehicle. Having said that, i love how deep cycle batteries work and how low they'll go before they die, and the way they just keep taking a beating and coming back to life after you charge them back up or get whatever it's on running again. It started out just being convenient to be honest, cause there always seemed to be a battery laying around that come off of one boat or another when I needed one in a pinch. But now that 20 or so yrs has passed using them, it's just what my family uses, even given the choice of a regular car battery we take the deep cycle lol. Only real bad part of using a boat battery in a car or truck is that they're expensive as hell. Other than that its all good.
You must live in a warm climate. The potential issue with a deep cycle as a starting battery is they have low CCA typically. So when its sub freezing out, a deep cycle will often lack the amperage to start a vehicle.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I have two demands. First, AGM-no gassing or corrosion that Ive had with every Lead/Acid battery. Second, pay for the 3 year Full Replacement warranty! Here in Fl a battery last 3-4 years or less. My experience is that 1 out of 3 batteries wont make it to 3 years and getting it replaced for FREE makes all the difference. Also, fit the biggest battery possible. It's like having a bigger bucket of water to put out a fire.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

After posting a comment here praising the longevity of my cheap autozone battery it finally died lol. We had a good run, I will be using another. On a side note, I worked AAA for years and the one battery I rarely saw fail was Die Hard. Interstates were the most common I jump started. I personally dont like Interstates. Which battery did you end up getting?
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

230ohc

Post by 230ohc »

After killing a starter and battery following diesel conversion, I installed gear reduction starter that helped but I killed another battery. So I went to Costco and got the biggest one they sell, it's got two handles on it and has not skipped a beat. I think it cost about 185$
1964 willys wagoneer
Om617 turbo diesel
Ax15
Dana 300
3.73 dana 27 front
3.73 dana 44 rear

Jdm1990gw

Post by Jdm1990gw »

My optimal is great too but I’ll look at Costco when shopping for my next