'87 GW windshield and possibly seal(?) replacement

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
WagoneerOwl

'87 GW windshield and possibly seal(?) replacement

Post by WagoneerOwl »

Gents,

The windshield in my '87 GW is cracked so needs to be replaced. Was going to have a loca auto glass shop handle it as they've got some old timers there who do nice work and have probably done some of these in the past. Anyhow, had a few questions before I proceed:

1. Is the correct windshield glass clear or tinted? I looked on RockAuto and they offered either clear or green tinted glass as options. Was going to call Pilkington Classics and speak to them as well.

2. Should I have the rubber seal replaced or is it better to try and keep the factory seal in there? If I replace it, who's the best vendor to get it from e.g. From a fitment perspective?

3. How nasty of a job is R&R'ing the windshield on one of these anyways? Is the trim tricky to remove?

Thanks!
Aaron

THOH

Re: '87 GW windshield and possibly seal(?) replacement

Post by THOH »

update on mine i originally tried to just use the rubber seal without any sealant but it was leaking water under the glass .

1. Do not have an answer on color

2. Replacing seal will depend on condition of current seal and if its been glued in at some point to stop leaks. Most people have an issue reinstalling the trim with new seal. I purchased my seal from team grand Wagoner as it was the cheapest .

3. Just did one for the first time took 3.5 hours start to finish . Rust around the screws that hold the trim on is common so you may need to do some repairs.

Last edited by THOH on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
WagoneerOwl

Re: '87 GW windshield and possibly seal(?) replacement

Post by WagoneerOwl »

Many thanks!! I’ll let everyone know how things go.