A/C question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
89er

A/C question

Post by 89er »

My 89 grand wagoneer is missing the underdash a/c duct extension. I think this is where the a/c resistor is located, likely one of a few things keeping my ac/heater from working.
I can't seem to find this duct extension anywhere online. Is it possible to get the a/c to work without this? There aren't any 80's grand wagoneers in nearby scrap yards but there is a '79 I believe. How do I find out which year models have an a/c duct extension that is compatible to go into my 89 wag?
'89 Grand Wagoneer Baltic-blue/Tan

babywag

Re: A/C question

Post by babywag »

Depends on if early or late '89. There was a wiring change that combined wiring and moved the blower motor resistors from separate locations to a single one in the firewall cowl.

Is there a blower motor resistor in the heater core housing under the hood? Or do you have a late one with the combined setup and resistor mounted in cowl/firewall on driver's side.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
89er

Post by 89er »

babywag wrote:Depends on if early or late '89. There was a wiring change that combined wiring and moved the blower motor resistors from separate locations to a single one in the firewall cowl.

Is there a blower motor resistor in the heater core housing under the hood? Or do you have a late one with the combined setup and resistor mounted in cowl/firewall on driver's side.
Thanks for the reply. The heater blower motor resistor is on the back side of the heater core housing under the hood in the engine compartment on my jeep.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Then you'll need to locate a duct '86-'91 and of course a resistor(for blower motor to work w/o modifying wiring).
Post in wanted section.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

letank

Post by letank »

89er wrote:My 89 grand wagoneer is missing the underdash a/c duct extension. I think this is where the a/c resistor is located, likely one of a few things keeping my ac/heater from working.

I can't seem to find this duct extension anywhere online. Is it possible to get the a/c to work without this? There aren't any 80's grand wagoneers in nearby scrap yards but there is a '79 I believe. How do I find out which year models have an a/c duct extension that is compatible to go into my 89 wag?
you need an extra piece -the resistor that is incased in the conduit, it is a 5 spade connector + 1 single on the 86 model... as usual, I tossed one cracked driver's side duct 2 weeks ago... the black one is only attached to the AC duct. The 79 will work, they are all the same, the only difference is the shape/appearance of the adjustable vents.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

The interior is beautful. Do you mind sharing how you got your dashboard looking so good?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
89er

Post by 89er »

letank wrote:
89er wrote:My 89 grand wagoneer is missing the underdash a/c duct extension. I think this is where the a/c resistor is located, likely one of a few things keeping my ac/heater from working.

you need an extra piece -the resistor that is incased in the conduit, it is a 5 spade connector + 1 single on the 86 model... as usual, I tossed one cracked driver's side duct 2 weeks ago... the black one is only attached to the AC duct. The 79 will work, they are all the same, the only difference is the shape/appearance of the adjustable vents.
I went and scoped out the '79 again and it does have the duct extension available. Are you saying it should be possible to purchase the correct hvac resistor and attach it to that duct extension? Where would I even go about getting one of those?

letank

Post by letank »

89er wrote:
letank wrote:

I went and scoped out the '79 again and it does have the duct extension available. Are you saying it should be possible to purchase the correct hvac resistor and attach it to that duct extension? Where would I even go about getting one of those?
I have a spare resistor, but out of the country for a few more weeks... someone must have a whole unit? post in the wanted section
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)