Quadratrac yoke play

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
MJMadness

Quadratrac yoke play

Post by MJMadness »

So I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my J10.

Both output yokes on the Quadratrac have play in them. As in up and down. Not a lot, but enough you can see and feel it. There's also play fore/aft, and I verified the big ol' nut is tight on the rear, haven't pulled the front D/S off yet to check that one. The front is far worse than the rear for up/down play. There seems to be some leakage from the seals, but it's a little hard to say as the tranny leaked on everything and I can't drive the truck more than about 1000' at a time anyways.

I'm assuming that this wondrous piece of engineering is built like pretty much every other tcase in regards to the outputs, in that the front of the output is supported by a ball bearing (which also controls thrust) and the rear of it rides in a straight roller bearing, and there should be basically zero play in these directions?

If the Quadrajunk, sorry, I mean Quadratrac, is junked, I'm very inclined to ditch the current drivetrain in this thing. Or put it back outside under the tree it has been keeping company for the last year. Unless these things are easy to rebuild and parts are readily available.

fulsizjeep

Re: Quadratrac yoke play

Post by fulsizjeep »

Sounds like the bearings are worn out but you never know until you tear it down. There could be more wear elsewhere like the differential. The bearings are held in place with a snap ring on each side. There is a thrust washer on the front output. Find more info and TSM on my site. I almost always use the 77 TSM.

http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm

Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
MJMadness

Re: Quadratrac yoke play

Post by MJMadness »

Okay. I think it's NFG. Which makes sense because every other component on this thing is.

There's other issues that lead me to believe that a complete drivetrain swap probably makes more sense.