J truck door hinges, a few questions

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
mjdriver

J truck door hinges, a few questions

Post by mjdriver »

Im rebuilding my driver side door hinges. Got the kit from bjs. Im not sure what to do with the bushings. The bracket that attaches to the door had no bushings in it, but the piece that attaches to the body of the truck seems to have some sort of bushings that are now one with the bracket. I drilled ond bracket than stopped what i was doing before i mess up too much. Mabey they go like in the first pic? Just not sure.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

FLeetFox

Re: J truck door hinges, a few questions

Post by FLeetFox »

MJ, I just went down and looked at mine, no bushes in the cast part, but bushes in the steel bracket. The set is like you have it in Pic #1. I will be blunt, it looks like your cast brackets are wallowed pretty good, though. Just m, but i think you could get a better set of replacements on ebay for like $50 a pair and rebush those.

FleetFox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

FLeetFox wrote:MJ, I just went down and looked at mine, no bushes in the cast part, but bushes in the steel bracket. The set is like you have it in Pic #1. I will be blunt, it looks like your cast brackets are wallowed pretty good, though. Just m, but i think you could get a better set of replacements on ebay for like $50 a pair and rebush those.

FleetFox
I know, i actually bought a pair on ebay. Got them installed and couldn't get the door too close properly. Well turns out they are slightly different, im guessing from a wagoneer. I dont fell like spending another 50 bucks, plus i already bought the bushing kit. I also spent alot of time drilling the pin out of the lower hinge cast part.

Thanks for the info.

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

hear you loud and clear. maybe look for another set of bushes? tractor Supply, mcmaster carr, grainger, lowes??

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

here's what i got. Brasss in both ends. my bj's kit only came with the outers. I haven't installed them yet.

82 j10

Image[/url]1011182316 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

FLeetFox wrote:here's what i got. Brasss in both ends. my bj's kit only came with the outers. I haven't installed them yet.

82 j10

Image[/url]1011182316 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]
I was thinking about drilling the cast piece a quarter inch on both sides so the bushes will fit.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Hinges are the same J-truck to wag/chero for any given year (at least '74 up, but I suspect back into the '60s as well). They did change somewhere around '80, limiting how much the door opened I believe.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

Cecil14 wrote:Hinges are the same J-truck to wag/chero for any given year (at least '74 up, but I suspect back into the '60s as well). They did change somewhere around '80, limiting how much the door opened I believe.

aa
With the ones o got on ebay the door is fine just untill its almost closed, it will bind like the hinges are bottoming out. If i look closely at the hinges it looks like the cast piece has a slightly different bend than the ones that came on the truck. Im not sure tried adjusting it for hours. Its a 73

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Are they for a rear door maybe? The rear doors from a wag may have had different hinges?

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

Cecil14 wrote:Are they for a rear door maybe? The rear doors from a wag may have had different hinges?

aa
Possibly, its been too long to contact the seller.