How to get house paint off wheels without hurting them

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Lumpskie

How to get house paint off wheels without hurting them

Post by Lumpskie »

So, we hired a painter to repaint some trim on our house. Apparently, he set a paint can behind the Jeep. My wife hopped in and backed out, crushing/exploding the paint can. When this happened, the wheel and tire became covered in white house enamel primer/paint. When I got home, I used carb cleaner on a spong to try to pick up the paint. I got a lot done but started worrying about the finish of the wheel itself. Are these wheels coated in a clear coat at all? Any ideas on the best way to get paint off without hurting the wheel?

Here is the current state. What do you guys think?

1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

FLeetFox

Re: How to get house paint off wheels without hurting them

Post by FLeetFox »

lacquer thinner, goof off- no pun intended, steel wool,000; then a little polishing
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

I'm not 100% sure if those wheels were originally clear-coated. I've never owned a set but to be on the safe side, I would stay on the gentle side as far as chemicals go. Have you scraped any of it off with a wooden scraper, like the end of a ruler, or maybe a plastic spatula? I think a dish washing liquid like Dawn is worth a try, along with a tooth brush with stiff bristles.

Oh, and is it latex or oil-based paint?

One other thought: steam cleaning?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

If you were open to putting another coat of clear after (spray paint bottles are under $10 on Amazon), hit it with a paint stripper / gasket remover?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

You could try a small cloth with a little bit of Goof-off on it to wipe on the paint and let it soak a few minutes, then use the end of a popsicle stick or wooden cabinet shim to slowly scrape it from an edge.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD