Steering column assembly help

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tanklyn

Steering column assembly help

Post by tanklyn »

have a 1970 Jeep that I took apart in 95 and I'm now trying to put back together I have my factory shop manual and my factory parts manual and I'm still having issues I have spare parts as well as the original parts all stored together I have a part I don't know where it goes or what it does but it does fit the column but then the spring does not fit my question is can anyone identify that part it's the aluminum one also does anyone at have any pictures they could post of how the column looks when it's assembled I'm at this point I'd even pay somebody to take one apart and take pictures as they did it I hope you guys can help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tanklyn on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
tanklyn

Re: Steering column assembly help

Post by tanklyn »

i am real sorry for the multi posts earlier

derf

Post by derf »

tanklyn wrote:i am real sorry for the multi posts earlier
The board does that sometime. It will just hang there forever. But the post will have made it in so you don't need to resubmit. Just open a new window and navigate over to where you were posting and you'll see it there. Then you can stop the other window that is just sitting there spinning.

As far as you steering column question, I can't help on that one. I've never had one of the old columns apart. :(

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

Not sure this helps, but.... this is a picture of a Miata steering column on a different build. Maybe it can provide some inspiration... Your part looks like it might be a support where 2 parts come together?
20181009_064846.jpeg
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GrandW on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Look for gm steering column assembly instructions on line. You can find them free of buy them. I can't remember where that goes and my column is about the only thing not needing repair.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

1969 dream wagon

Post by 1969 dream wagon »

That aluminum piece fits into the bottom of the column tube where the shift linkage is