Any ideas where to buy a Neutral Safety Switch for my 1970 Wagoneer?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Chubbinius

Any ideas where to buy a Neutral Safety Switch for my 1970 Wagoneer?

Post by Chubbinius »

Howdy all, I was having some issues getting my 1970 Wagoneer (automatic with a console shifter on floor) to start. After checking the battery, alternator, and starter, I put it in neutral and got it to start (had recalled that from a thread on here, thanks!). Took a look at the NSS on the floor shifter and noticed the switch had loose terminals and had been pried apart and put back together (it was filled with dielectric grease when I looked in it) and I couldn't get the terminals to tighten up. I was hoping to just bolt a new one on, but they are nowhere to be found.
Does anyone have a link or a tip as to where I might find a new neutral safety (& backup light) switch online?

I have tried Rockauto, Jegs, Napa, Autozone, O'Reilly, etc. with no luck. No luck on Amazon or eBay either. BJs has ones for 1973 and up, but those aren't the same pin/blade set up as the 1970 one. Team Grand Wagoneer didn't have any. I even tried searching for the part number from the 62-73 FSJ Parts catalog on oljeep.com, #942 900, with no luck.

Thank you for any advice or help in pointing me in the right direction.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Cecil14

Re: Any ideas where to buy a Neutral Safety Switch for my 1970 Wagoneer?

Post by Cecil14 »

You could always just bypass it. Usually it's just a circuit grounding type switch. I'd have to see the wiring diagram to know exactly, but typically you can just ground out the feed wire to the switch to bypass it.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Cecil14 wrote:You could always just bypass it. Usually it's just a circuit grounding type switch. I'd have to see the wiring diagram to know exactly, but typically you can just ground out the feed wire to the switch to bypass it.
Thanks for the idea, I looked on the wiring diagram in the Chilton's and what I could find on oljeep, but it looks like the diagram shows jumpering for manuals only. Plus, I'm not smart enough to know if I'd lose my backup light functionality by jumpering/bypassing it (might have to try it and see).

I can start it in neutral, but would like to have a complete switch in case others drive it...although that might be a decent theft deterrent if the Wagoneer can't be started normally. :shock:
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

The real issue I'd be concerned about, is eventually losing the switch (and the ability to start in neutral) altogether. While it may work now, and maybe forever, it may not at some point. That could well leave you stranded somewhere.

At very least I'd learn how to bypass it, even if you don't leave it like that. Backup lights are pretty insignificant if you can't start the thing at all. :)

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

1971J4000

Post by 1971J4000 »

Cecil14 wrote:The real issue I'd be concerned about, is eventually losing the switch (and the ability to start in neutral) altogether. While it may work now, and maybe forever, it may not at some point. That could well leave you stranded somewhere.

At very least I'd learn how to bypass it, even if you don't leave it like that. Backup lights are pretty insignificant if you can't start the thing at all. :)

aa
You can find them here... a bit pricey... but hard to be picky...

These are reproduction parts... and sure happy to see someone doing it...

(I purchased a replacement neutral switch for my column mount 71 Gladiator and it fit & worked just fine)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeepster-Jeep- ... tP&vxp=mtr
1971 J4600 with Dauntless 350

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you look for say "Camaro neutral safety switch" or "Camaro backup light switch" you'll find pictures of many similar switches.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/68-72-Ca ... 16034.html

You could try other 60s-70s era cars that came with automatics and floor shifters. You may find an exact match.

It will probably be easier to find a similar switch and make it work than to search out the exact replacement. Possible the seller of that "exact replacement" switch on eBay is using an existing switch for a Chevy or Ford and modifying it to fit the Jeep application.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Thanks all. Tgreese and 1971J4000, thanks for the links. The repro looks exactly like what is in mine. Thanks!

Anthony, you hit the nail on the head! I can start in neutral, but don't know for how long. I did figure out how to start it by crossing the powered spade connector to one of the eye terminals...
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Also, switches like this are not meant to be taken apart, but sometimes you can drill out the rivets or bend up the tabs and open them. If you are lucky, the switch is full of dirt and oxidation, and you can clean with contact cleaner (plastic safe) and assemble with a little dielectric grease on the sliding parts. It's possible you could revitalize the switch without disassembly by squirting enough contact cleaner in the gaps between the plastic and steel to clean out the gunk. Deoxit is the best for this, but expensive. http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1602 ... tegory=188 There are plenty of other contact cleaners that are comparable, esp. if you take the switch apart. https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-GIDDS-3029 ... aner&psc=1

The switch works by sliding springy phosphor-bronze contact fingers over flat contacts. If badly worn, the fingers will be worn away or broken off, and in that case, you'll need to repair. I presume you could scavenge pieces from another switch and solder them or otherwise repurpose to repair a broken finger. Things like old washing machines always have a timer with many of these mechanical contacts, or look to old/broken headlight switches, or something from a similar type of switch.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

tgreese wrote:Also, switches like this are not meant to be taken apart, but sometimes you can drill out the rivets or bend up the tabs and open them. If you are lucky, the switch is full of dirt and oxidation, and you can clean with contact cleaner (plastic safe) and assemble with a little dielectric grease on the sliding parts. It's possible you could revitalize the switch without disassembly by squirting enough contact cleaner in the gaps between the plastic and steel to clean out the gunk. Deoxit is the best for this, but expensive. http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1602 ... tegory=188 There are plenty of other contact cleaners that are comparable, esp. if you take the switch apart. https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-GIDDS-3029 ... aner&psc=1

The switch works by sliding springy phosphor-bronze contact fingers over flat contacts. If badly worn, the fingers will be worn away or broken off, and in that case, you'll need to repair. I presume you could scavenge pieces from another switch and solder them or otherwise repurpose to repair a broken finger. Things like old washing machines always have a timer with many of these mechanical contacts, or look to old/broken headlight switches, or something from a similar type of switch.
Tim, thank you for al the information and suggestions. When I looked at the switch I could definitely see that it had been opened up before by prying the tabs up. It was filled with dielectric grease, not just on the sliders. I have some CRC Electronics Cleaner that I will try to clean it up with and then check the fingers/brushes inside it, or find something to replace them if they are worn/missing.

Following up on your other comment about similar switches, I found that an AMC Marlin/Rebel/Javelin look to use the same switch...but have the same lack of availability. I may just pick up a neutral safety switch that looks close and scavenge the parts out of it. Thanks again for all the help!
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear

Kaiserman

Post by Kaiserman »

They pop up on ebay pretty often NOS listed for AMC's. Usually to the tune of $100. I get them NOS for $25 once in a while from an old timer that specialized in NOS/NORS inventory. Might want to call places like Kanters and ask around for one, or any other place that specializes in old inventory.

I went through several used ones before I found a good working one. Easy to test with a multimeter.
1971 J2500 Gladiator Custom-Cab Platform Stake on 126" wb. B350/T18A/D20 D60/D60-3 w/locker 4.10's Ramsey 8klb PTO winch, Day-brook dump. 225/95R16's
1969 J3800 Gladiator 3407Z Camper Truck. B350/T18A/D20 D44/D60-3 w/4.10's
1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400 Mostly Stock
1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0L/AW4 4" lift OEM swing out tire carrier and brushguard

Topic author
Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

I found a couple of online places that have them other than eBay. I picked mine up from stores.partsdude4x4.net for $92.50 with shipping. They also had them on ramblerparts.com.

Incidentally it is the same NSS that can be found in a 65 Marlin and a couple years of Ramblers and Jeepsters.

I will pry the old one apart and use some of Tim's suggestions and tips to restore it for a spare.
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear