Front Seat Replacement

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Front Seat Replacement

Post by Fast79Chief »

What seats have been successfully swapped into a pre-80 Chief or Wag?
Post up your pics if you have em.
I have a chance to pick up a couple 98 Tahoe front seats and wondering if they will fit?

Thanks.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Front Seat Replacement

Post by Stuka »

The issue I have seen with newer seats is they have a much thicker lower cushion. So you end up sitting higher, and you really need a tilt wheel. I had '07 JK seats in my J10 for a while, and they were super comfortable. But getting in and out was a pain, and I sat way too high up.

Now I am trying to think of what other seats to put in it. As I currently went back to a bench, which is super worn out and makes me bounce all over.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

1979bettywhite

Front Seat Replacement

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Any new seat that is designed to fit a CJ or YJ seat bracket setup. I went with Corbeau Moabs. They make a heated seat setup for them as well. I have enjoyed the Moabs in my chief. Yes, they seat you a little higher, but it is a way better position for me than the stock height buckets. I am about 6' to 6'1" and have a couple of inches of headroom in them.

I looked for a long time at the Bestops as well. The sport ones I believe, with the headrest. I wanted a seat that had a handle instead of a dial for the folding forward option as I do have the two door Chief. Has come in handy a lot. But with a wag, you could go with just a dial setup.

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Seats out of a early (through 2005) pt cruiser bolt right up to the stock brackets sliders and all all thats needed is 2 nuts. They can be found with forward tilt for cherokees. They sit about an inch or two higher than stock. Unless youre like 7' you wont have problems.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Post by 243 »

I have spent hours looking at "used" bucket seats and my conclusion is European seats, generally will fit best like BMW and Audi, and mentioned above, a lot of the American car and truck seats have thick bottoms. The exception seems to be sub-compact and compact cars but I am concerned with the quality of the construction on the less expensive vehicles.

In my case, I am looking seats with removable headrests to retain the bench seat profile. I have been rear ended in an FSJ and it hurt so I do understand why headrests are better.

Here is an example, 350 for the pair but 145 shipping.

1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

So those 98 Tahoe seats will probably ly be too big or high, huh?
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)