Side Trim Removal Tool?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Maddening

Side Trim Removal Tool?

Post by Maddening »

Which clip tool do I need to remove the side trim from the clips on this truck? (see attachment) I know the front has two screws that are easy to get to, and then a few spring clips, the rest I am unsure, are they all screwed in at the ends? Not sure how I would even get to them if the bed pieces are screwed in from behind!

It's a '78 I think, a friend of mine came across it in his Dad's junk yard, I am going to go out there and see what I can scavenge next week.
Side_Trim.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 J10 - It's BLUE.
2017 JK Rubicon - It's GREEN

RamJetFSJ

Re: Side Trim Removal Tool?

Post by RamJetFSJ »

They are square plastic tabs. Should be able to get a nylon trim tool under it and pop it off. They are about every 10” or so down the length. Like you said, a screw under the hood at the leading edge, and a spring clip at the front.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

letank

Post by letank »

the plastic is usually brittle and will break off, or still resilient and bend your trim out of shape.

No infos on how to remove them. the last trim that I tried to remove from a bimmer, I popped the door panels and push from the inside, which is not a doable task for hood and fender pieces.

A plastic prying tool could be the best approach, such as harbor freight

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=144922

http://www.autofastco.net/GM/J4301.html

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Maddening

Post by Maddening »

Thanks guys. I do have a full set of those trim tools, and a set of trim picks and spudgers, etc. I'll get them off one way or another! My '77 has metal clips with a little spring arm holding the fender pieces on, so I thought this one would too, we'll see. Either way I now know how to get them off, spent a bit of time experimenting with one of the loose pieces I have and one of the clips that the guy before me never put on. I don't even need the trim really, I have a nice set waiting to go on, but stuff like that is hard to get in Alaska, so gotta grab it as backup!
1977 J10 - It's BLUE.

Topic author
Maddening

Post by Maddening »

Well, apparently my friends Dad does not allow customers to pull their own parts anyway, so I guess I will skip these trim as the parts puller kid would likely just mangle them like a gorilla. Still gonna get the bucket seats at a minimum.
1977 J10 - It's BLUE.