Stock replacement leaf springs

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
81waggy

Stock replacement leaf springs

Post by 81waggy »

I know there aren't many places to get OEM ride height springs for an 81 Wagoneer. But there are several different sizes for the front. My 81 currently has 5 leaves in the front & ~47" overall length.

What's the difference in a 4 leaf? 5 Leaf? 7 Leaf? I assume load capacity but wasn't sure if there was more to it that I was missing. I swapped out the 258 for a 350 chevy so not a whole lot of weight difference.

I only use it as a daily driver...no off roading.

Thanks.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

Topic author
81waggy

Re: Stock replacement leaf springs

Post by 81waggy »

So far the 3 sources I"m looking at are:

SD Truck Springs pt #
Front - 97-372 - 5 leaf
Rear - 97-485

General Spring KC

Front 97-392
rear 97-493

Or Team grand Wagoneer's set.

TGW is $100-150 cheaper...but are they worth it?
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

I wouldn't touch TGW with a million foot cattle prod, they're a horrible company and have the reputation to go with it.

As far as the difference in leaf count, it depends entirely on how the manufacturer builds the springs. Thickness of the leaves plays a big role in spring rate, as does number of leaves, and probably other factors.

I have ordered things (spring hangers) from General Spring before, they were great to work with on the phone. I can't attest to the quality of their springs, but I would be very likely to give them a shot if I were in the market for springs.

Alcan is another option, offering probably the best leaf springs money can buy, but they're expensive. They will ride better than any others, if you work with them to get the specs correct.

If you call and speak with someone at either place, they can likely give you more personalized info on which springs will work best for you. Typically a higher leaf count will mean thinner leaves, and thus a better ride. They usually don't last as long, however. There's always some trade-offs, but with newer technology and manufacturing processes, those trade-offs tend to be less than they used to be.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

mx71

Post by mx71 »

Stay away from TGW. Use BJ's if you're going that route. I have a set of Crowns that I bought from BJs that I'm happy with, but they are the 5 leaf pack instead of the 7. They're the same overall thickness as the 7 pack. I've read that people say they sag after a year, but I just put them on so I can't attest to that. Just so you know, if you've got older shocks on it and replace it with new shocks, it will ride stiffer. The spring rates for these springs replicate the factory springs, which were not intended for today's more stiffly valved shocks. I wish I kept my old shocks.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/BJs-Off-Road- ... _1301.html

Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

Cecil14 wrote:I wouldn't touch TGW with a million foot cattle prod, they're a horrible company and have the reputation to go with it.

As far as the difference in leaf count, it depends entirely on how the manufacturer builds the springs. Thickness of the leaves plays a big role in spring rate, as does number of leaves, and probably other factors.

I have ordered things (spring hangers) from General Spring before, they were great to work with on the phone. I can't attest to the quality of their springs, but I would be very likely to give them a shot if I were in the market for springs.

Alcan is another option, offering probably the best leaf springs money can buy, but they're expensive. They will ride better than any others, if you work with them to get the specs correct.

If you call and speak with someone at either place, they can likely give you more personalized info on which springs will work best for you. Typically a higher leaf count will mean thinner leaves, and thus a better ride. They usually don't last as long, however. There's always some trade-offs, but with newer technology and manufacturing processes, those trade-offs tend to be less than they used to be.

aa
I purchased three things from them and every single one I was severely disappointed, never again will I buy anything from TGW. the window wipes were crap, the multi function switch for my steering column has a plastic part that doesn't even fit correctly and slides around and the new window seals fit like total crap and still allow air to move around them.
I have no clue how that company is still in business.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

letank

Post by letank »

More leafs added comfort, my front 2 leaf OEM 74 was a bear, when I had to replace them, I got a 4 leaf , it was a lot more bearable
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

BJ's used to sell stock height springs, not sure if they do anymore. If not, you can contact Hell Creek or Alcan.

2" lift springs may also be an option. The lift they provide is hardly noticeable.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

babywag

Post by babywag »

Stuka wrote:BJ's used to sell stock height springs, not sure if they do anymore. If not, you can contact Hell Creek or Alcan.

2" lift springs may also be an option. The lift they provide is hardly noticeable.
BJ's stock springs are Crown...and overpriced. Really annoys me they don't disclose a brand on the website for some stuff.
Had I known(should've asked but they're sometimes slow or don't even bother to reply) would not have ordered them.
Could've had them for cheaper and free shipping from other vendors. They were drop-shipped.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

babywag wrote:
Stuka wrote:BJ's used to sell stock height springs, not sure if they do anymore. If not, you can contact Hell Creek or Alcan.

BJ's stock springs are Crown...and overpriced. Really annoys me they don't disclose a brand on the website for some stuff.
Had I known(should've asked but they're sometimes slow or don't even bother to reply) would not have ordered them.
Could've had them for cheaper and free shipping from other vendors. They were drop-shipped.
Oh, did not know that. Then the answer for him is definitely contact Hell Creek or Alcan.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

babywag wrote:

This is the primary reason I've stopped shopping at BJs for the most part. I get that every is looking to make money, but I'm not a huge fan of repackaged products. It adds no redeeming value and a lot of middle-man inflation.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Cecil14 wrote:
babywag wrote:

This is the primary reason I've stopped shopping at BJs for the most part. I get that every is looking to make money, but I'm not a huge fan of repackaged products. It adds no redeeming value and a lot of middle-man inflation.

aa
However, BJs gives the customer more of what they need at one location. Not everyone wants to hunt for an item and is willing to pay the Mark-up for the convience.