MSD Distributor with a Stock Motorcraft Box?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fast79Chief

MSD Distributor with a Stock Motorcraft Box?

Post by Fast79Chief »

Hey y'all, yesterday I installed an MSD 8519 Pro Billet distributor in my 79 360 Cherokee. I left the stock ignition box in place for now. Had to add one ground wire to the MSD dist. housing to make it a 'plug and play' installation with the stock wiring coming from the stock box. Added a set of HEI type wires and the old girl is running very good.
Does anybody see a problem with leaving this setup long term? Of course MSD wants everybody to buy their $300.00 boxes for their distributor ... but apparently it will work with the factory box.

Appreciate any input from experienced wrenchers. Thanks.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

REDONE

Re: MSD Distributor with a Stock Motorcraft Box?

Post by REDONE »

I don't see any issue with that at all. The stock motorcraft boxes where pretty decent units, with good curves and supposedly a built in retard-during-start.

The issue with the stock boxes isn't in their performance, just that they're all old by now (and corrosion has run its course), and the replacement boxes (Chinese) had a high rate of bad-out-of-the-box/immediate failure.

I suspect that the new replacement boxes (last one I bought was Korean) are really just stealth HEI, which is good, but not really the same as the original Motorola motorcraft boxes. I think you should run the stock box as long as it runs like you want it. :-bd
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The only issue I can think of would be polarity. You can read about the polarity of a VR signal here - http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/pickups.htm

There are only two ways to connect the trigger to the module. If you had an oscilloscope and a working Motorcraft distributor, you could measure the signal it makes and determine the proper connection. However, lacking that, you should be able to deduce from the wiring instructions what the polarity should be. The instructions tell you how to connect a Motorcraft distributor to the MSD module, and how to connect the MSD distributor to their module. From that you can determine the proper connection of the MSD distributor to the Motorcraft module.

The module can only sink a certain amount of current without melting. But that's not under the control of the distributor, but instead determined by the coil and any ballast resistor present.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Thanks you guys ... this is good stuff for all of us. Today, a wet, rain soaked day, was the first time since I bought this Jeep that I turned the key and it fired right up! Yesterday I saw that my stock Motorcraft distributor had 3 wires coming out of it, and noticed that two of them were the same color as the MSD 8519 distributor wires, and another black ground wire. So the MSD only had the 2 colored wires coming from it so I added a black ground wire to the housing. Put female spade terminals on all the MSD wires and plugged in the factory harness lead, matching colors. I am running the factory coil right now. I'm sure it's at least 25 years old or older so I'm looking to replace it too.
You guys seems to know your way around these 360 motors ... how much coil voltage can the Motorcraft ignition box handle? Have you heard of anybody (or did you do it) replacing the factory coil with a higher output coil and KEEPING the factory ignition box? Cause that's what I want to do.

LEt me know your thought on this please. I'm going to see just how much better I can get the old girl to run with simple needed changes.

Thanks!
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)