I just bought my first TWO FSJ Trucks

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
JeepManiac

I just bought my first TWO FSJ Trucks

Post by JeepManiac »

Hey everyone. Not new to jeeps, but new to FSJ's

I live in Kodiak, AK. I bought a 1981 J10 in pretty rough shape. I got it cheap. Using it for parts, and to build a pickup bed trailer to match my good truck. Should be cool.

Then here's what I'm real excited about. A 1987 J20

I want to do what most might call a resto-mod to the J20. I want it mostly original with a few mods to make it a good DD and tow rig.

I want it to tow my go-fast XJ I built.

Once my Sonoma sells I'll only have Jeeps.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Re: I just bought my first TWO FSJ Trucks

Post by JeepManiac »

I don't know if it was the site, my computer or internet, but I did not mean to post this thread 3 times.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Nice score on the trucks! If you decide to part with the rear bumper from the parts truck let me know
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Its the site unfortunately :(

But hey, welcome! Most of us wait a year or so before buying a second FSJ :P

The bed, and especially tail gate look really nice on the parts truck. Cool XJ too!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

Hey! Welcome from Phoenix! You'll find this to get a great forum (even with the quirks in the software). The people are great and really supportive.

And yeah, I am diggin' that XJ as well. I always have 'flex envy' with those front coil springs. Is that the exhaust exiting outsize of the front fender?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

Yea the XJ has a radical 4.7 stroker in it and the exhaust exits through the fender. The pipe fits through there because it's a 3 link so there's no upper control arm on that side.
https://vimeo.com/275532350

I posted this in general tech because I'm going to have plenty of questions involving what I want to do with these jeeps. I'm also curious about the value of them.
Last edited by JeepManiac on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

So actually this leads me to a question. Would I devalue the J20 by installing a I6 stroker with about 300 lb ft of tq? Because it originally came with the 360? I just happen to have most of the parts laying around to make a half-way decent stroker.

I sorta wanted to toss in a 4.5L stroker (with carb stiil), AW4 and 231 tcase. Or even use the parts truck (manual) to convert the J20 from auto to manual. But use a more modern manual like the AX-15.

Where might I source a new front bench seat?

Would these hub caps fit these wheels? Anyone know?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-1983-Amc- ... %7Ciid%3A1

https://www.cokertire.com/wheels/origin ... rimed.html

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Those hubcaps wont fit those wheels. I already spoke to that company about that exact wheel. J20 didnt have hubcaps except for a rare few and to my knowledge they used (dont quote me) a 70s dodge van dog dish. Maybe someone else can confirm that?
As far as devaluing by doing that swap, original is worth more than modified. I swapped a 4.0 for dependability but mine is modified to the point it has no book values. Its more or less value to me or if someone wanted to buy it, but it is an engine swap I don't regret at all.
Bench seats arent available anymore. People have had luck swapping Dakota bench seats, or wagoneer/durango buckets but I am not sure which years for the dodge seats. I have a blueish grey bench in fairly good shape I would sell you but shipping from NY to AK would be insane
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

Awesome, thanks for the help!

I have learned 2 things recently. I think the front bumper and winch on the J20 might be a factory installed option. It's an old period correct warn 8754 I believe. I'm away so it's not currently in front of me.

I also learned it has 76,000 original miles. Carfax and odometer agree. I wasn't sure if there was a spot for the 1xx,xxx.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

J-Trucks don't really have much resale value. So an engine swap isn't going to do much to hurt that. But personally if I was towing ~5k pounds, I would wan't more power. But maybe the roads you drive on are flatter or have lower speed limits.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

I live in Alaska, so not flat. Although I think proper gearing and a healthy stroker will get the job done. My bias is just due to my current availability of parts and intimate knowledge of the straight 6 from building the stroker for my XJ. But there isn't anything wrong with the 360 so I ought to leave it alone.

I know there are threads out there about installing an AX-15 into these and even the AW4. I have the parts truck for clutch pedal and other parts if I wanted. Are manual J trucks typically more desirable? How difficult would it be to install an AX-15 with either mechanical clutch linkage or hydraulic (generally speaking). I was checking out BJ's offroad and they have parts for both setups. Not sure any of that is "worth it" to do. I hate the idea of either a 4 speed manual or 3 speed auto with 1:1 high gear. You just get a lot of advantages with OD. Like lower axle gears for 1st gear acceleration and a better cruising RPM.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

does anyone know if the color of that J20 is olympic white?

And is that bumper and winch possibly a factory option?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

When I worked at a Jeep dealer, the owner would have never ordered a Jeep with a winch and bumper from the factory, for three reasons. Not good for sales, since it would have limited the number of customers that this Jeep would have appealed to. Any accessories like this were a prime target to be stolen from the cars in transit. And, the factory did a crappy job installing accessories.

I would say this is either an owner or dealer installed winch. Bumpers and winches were part of the "Jeep Approved" accessories that could be ordered with the Jeep or through the Jeep parts network. Typically point-of-sale dealer installed accessories were rolled into the purchase financing, so they "came with" the Jeep. You'd have to look in the parts catalog supplement for 1987 to see if that bumper and winch were available from Jeep.

Paint and trim code are on the VIN plate. Compare the color code with the available colors for 1987.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Maddening

Post by Maddening »

Quite a few of us FSJ people showing up in Alaska lately! If you are on FB check out the Jeep'n Alaska group.
1977 J10 - It's BLUE.
2017 JK Rubicon - It's GREEN

bktscrambler

Post by bktscrambler »

Any word on those rear numbers? Add me to the list of vultures interested.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

Yea I'm on Jeep'n Alaska

Did you mean rear bumper? The rear bumper is very likely for sale, but shipping will kill the deal. If someone wants it bad enough I'll sell it off the brown parts truck. I'd sell other stuff too if needed

I'm swapping front bumpers. So the winch bumper and winch will be for sale. I was doing all of this locally. But if people want to pay that much shipping I'll play ball. I was going to turn the parts truck into a trailer, but I'm likely abandoning that idea. I just finished building that XJ and I can't just keep taking on big ol' projects haha.

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

So I've been settling in with this new rig and learning all about it. There was some interesting stuff going on from the previous owner. It was clearly a dedicated Elk hunting rig and was all setup for pulling elk into the bed. That's all it did it's whole life and probably why it only has 76,000 miles. I cleaned the bed with soap and water and a red pad. I thought it was just dirty and then I realized it was decades old Elk blood covering the bottom of the bed. It's bed lined now and looks nice.

I also tried some different paints from Duplicolor. One labeled for Chrysler vehicles called "Stone White" was a 100% match and made me super happy. I was blown away at how good of a match this paint was. I'm going around touching up areas so it looks good from 30 feet.

On my to do list is:
-fix hood
-Fix exhaust leak
-Install some sort of crossover H or X pipe (true duals now no crossover)
-Fix air cleaner (Carb spacer and big air cleaner, damn thing has been hitting the hood)
-Tune up + TFI ignition upgrade
-Replace oil pressure sensor and oil pump

So question about the hood which is mainly why I posted today > > > Can I use these as my primary/only hood latch? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0149 ... 0DER&psc=1

I don't think they'll detract from the Jeep's looks and I can get rid of the failing factory hood latch setup. I've had wranglers with that typical external hood latch. But if I remember right they still always had that secondary latch underneath in the middle you still had to release with your hand. I'm sure it's some legal requirement that your hood be secured 2 ways.