Best replacement tie rod ends?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
derf

Best replacement tie rod ends?

Post by derf »

So I have some relatively new replacement Moog brand tie rod ends on my Jeep. The axle is from an '88 Grand Wag and I'm using stock steering components.

Two problems. First is that the ends are a little more "universal" than I'd like. They stick up quite a bit out of the knuckle. Second problem is that after only a couple thousand miles they're making all kinds of noise and are moving around a lot when I steer. It sounds like an old car that had 0ver 100K on factory joints and I don't like it.

What brand of tie rod ends does everyone have good luck with? I don't mind spending money on quality parts but I don't need the super-duper 1 ton upgrades either.

brielly
Vendor

Re: Best replacement tie rod ends?

Post by brielly »

Moog has always been my go to brand for suspension parts but I have heard that quality has gone down over the years. I've had good luck with mevotech on some of my other vehicles but have never used their parts on my jeep. Might be worth a shot. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more suggestions.
82 Cherokee 258 w/ mopar fuel injection, ax-15
Fiberglass Rhino Grille reproductions for sale. See my post in the vendors section or contact me rrielly@verizon.net

mx71

Post by mx71 »

Moog was my go to for a long time, but I was disappointed on some ball joints I got for an 85 Nissan 720. The boots weren't sealed, and the grease oozed out of the joint by design. Bad idea for a 4x4 in a snow climate IMO. Not sure abut the wag stuff specifically. I haven't replaced the ends on my 79, but I did replace the main drag link with a Moog and it's been a quality piece, however I don't off road so I can't testify to it's bashing strength.
Last edited by mx71 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
derf

Post by derf »

I have some AC Delco parts on the way from rockauto. We'll see how they work.

If they don't pan out I'm going to see about building something myself with heim joints.

acct21

Post by acct21 »

Bought the Moog adjusting sleeves when I rebuilt my tie rods/drag link. They were stamped Chinese junk. Ended up blasting and re-using my OEM parts. The Moog ends came from Advance Auto, and were made in the USA at that time (4-5 years ago). Seemed decent quality then.
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)