Died while driving

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
fxtechphx

Died while driving

Post by fxtechphx »

I was driving down the freeway at about 60 when the engine just died. Pulled over and tried restarting. I couldn't even get a click out of the starter. No power to anything...lights, clock etc. Looked around and found the grounding nut loose on the alternator. Went to tighten it and the stud just snapped off. Took the alternator out and noticed that the area around the stud was blackened. Replaced the alternator and I still don't have power. Checked the fuses again and everything looks fine.
Where do I go now?
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Died while driving

Post by Stuka »

Your battery is most likely dead. My guess is the alternator stopped charging, and you were driving off battery power for hours, maybe even days depending on how much you drive. Charge your battery enough to get it to start, and then once it is started, measure your voltage. It should be around 14-14.5 when running.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
fxtechphx

Post by fxtechphx »

I have about 12.5v ,which should be enough to power lights or even try to kick the starter. I get nothing
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Just because you have 12V does not mean the battery is good. More than likely the battery is toast.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

SlowGear

Post by SlowGear »

Starter relay? Twice, mine has crapped out with the same results - first was some kind of internal fault and second one of the connection terminals broke off.
88 Grand Wagoneer - bone stock except the missing bits:-)

will e

Post by will e »

If you have no lights, not even the interior lights, then you have a bad cable or ground. I would rig a test light or something to the battery. If it works, try moving the ground from the battery to the body and engine. If it works on both then move the positive to the solenoid.
I believe there is also a fusible link in the circuit as well.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

RGniady81

Post by RGniady81 »

I bought a Jeep that reportedly had the same thing happen. Drug it home and checked the fusible links off the starter solenoid. There are 3. One was bad. I changed all 3 and got some power back but wouldn’t fire, then traced to ignition module. That solved it. Runningfine. I would absolutely check the fusible links.
1999 XJ “Goldie” w/262k, 1988 GW 108k “name pending”

Topic author
fxtechphx

Post by fxtechphx »

It was the fusible link. Keeping a spare in the Jeep from now on