AC cycles constantly after 2 mins

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Milktruck

AC cycles constantly after 2 mins

Post by Milktruck »

Started working on this last year and gave up as weather got cooler. My AC compressor (clutch) switches on and off and drags after a couple of minutes of use. Blows cold til then.

New compressor (York)
New clutch
New pressure switch
New hoses
New dryer
New expansion valve
R134

Thoughts?
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer backdating to 78/88 blend
5.3L LS/3" Lift/Bilstein Shocks/Boobie Grille

REDONE

Re: AC cycles constantly after 2 mins

Post by REDONE »

Sounds like a low charge, needs more refrigerant.

Basically, there's not enough refrigerant to build up a supply in liquid form in the condenser. It tries for a start-up period, but after that, if it doesn't see the pressure difference it want's to, it cycles looking for a change.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

Or too much charge. that will do it as well.

mx71

Post by mx71 »

I second low charge. I don't know if there's a high pressure cutoff, but there would definitely be a low pressure cutoff. Check for leaks. The pressure switch is cutting the power to protect the compressor.

Topic author
Milktruck

Post by Milktruck »

Thanks for the replies. I’m gonna go look for my notes on how much we put on pressure-wise. As I remember there is a conversion for the R12 to R134. Anyone have a R134 number that they’ve used that is standard?

Topic author
Milktruck

Post by Milktruck »

I’m seeing 2 1/4 lbs R12 recommended for the system (Using the 1979 Field Manual since it is a York and not Sanden compressor). If I’m using a standard 80% conversion to R134 that would make my target: 1.8 lbs R134. Does that sound about right?

Topic author
Milktruck

Post by Milktruck »

Went out and found the tech’s scribbled note and he put 1.68 lbs in. That may explain it. I guess its relatively cheap to bump up. Still will wait to hear others feelings about this.

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

If the conversion was done half way correct you will have a binary switch. that will turn it off in an overpressure situation.

You can't go by how much was put in you have to use gauges. any competent A/C mechanic can test it and get it right.

Topic author
Milktruck

Post by Milktruck »

There is a low pressure cut off switch, as in the stock install. I am assuming that is NOT what you’re speaking of when you mention a binary switch? Where would a binary switch be added to the system?

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Back in the day when we were doing a lot of R12 to 134A conversations GM recommended minus 10% minus 2 oz, so if 2 1/4 pounds = 40 oz of R12- 134A charge would be 34 oz, binary switch is a low pressure/high pressure cut off switch usually on the drier, power comes from t-stat on evap thru sw and to comp clutch, you need a set of guages to see whats going on if overcharged high side will hit 300 lbs depending what the spec's are for the binary and sw will kill power to clutch, if low on refrigerant low side will be well low (less than 20 lbs ???) also if the engine fan is not pulling enough air thru the condenser at idle or low speeds will cause the high side to go nuts, but need pictures or details to be sure, Cheers

Topic author
Milktruck

Post by Milktruck »

Thank you sonoraed.

Quick question about how you arrived at the 40oz number you’re using for R12. Is that to compensate for losses in the charging equipment? I was using 16oz/lb which would give a starting point of 36oz for R12. Then using your conversion would yield (36*.9)-2 = 30.4oz. Then to get pounds: 30.4/16 = 1.9 pounds. Just wondering if I’m starting with the wrong assumptions regarding weight. I also read this and wondered about adding oz to compensate for equipment losses:
https://www.factoryairtemp.com/Upload/F ... 20CANS.PDF

Regarding the binary switch, the stock drier doesn’t have a port for connection. I see the value of having one, but wonder if it is necessary since I’d most likely need to change drier. Or would it be possible to put in place of low pressure switch if it was dual purpose?

Thanks for the comments!!

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

Normally they're on the drier but it could be on a fitting somewhere. yes the low pressure switch can be replaced with a binary switch. are you sure your switch isn't a binary switch anyway ?

Don't worry about how much refrigerant you have. in a morgified conversion you're just making a guess to what it would need. get it checked and get it right.